Skin treatments are used to cure, relieve or prevent some complications.
Some daily habits contribute to the skin looking more aged or sickly. For example, do not use sunscreen, smoke, drink alcohol or consume sugars in large quantities and do not remove your makeup properly.
On the other hand, factors such as a diet rich in fruits and vegetables, hydration and good sleep quality can help to make the dermis healthier and more beautiful.
Wrinkles and expression lines
Treatments to soften expression lines and wrinkles include the use of lasers, infrared light devices, botox applications and general care such as the use of creams, massages and facial muscle gymnastics. All of these forms of treatment must be guided by a dermatologist.
Expression lines appear when we are moving the muscles of the face (when smiling, for example). When the face relaxes, these marks soften and gradually disappear.
On the other hand, when looking in the mirror and noticing permanent marks, even without any muscle movement on the face, then there are wrinkles.
Learn a little more about each of the most used treatments:
- Fractional CO2 laser: this laser reduces sagging skin, which reduces wrinkles. People with scars around the laser application area and pregnant women cannot do this type of treatment, which has effects for up to 1 year;
- NeHe Laser (Helio-Neônio): this type is indicated for deeper wrinkles and scars. The treatment can cause pain and irritation, requiring the use of local anesthesia during the application of the laser;
- Radio frequency (or infrared) devices: stimulates the production of new cells that are responsible for sustaining the skin (such as collagen and elastin). The treatment is painless and has a long duration (up to 2 years);
- Botox: the use of this substance prevents some movements of the musculature and therefore softens the expression. In general, the applications cause little pain and take up to 5 days to take effect, which lasts for about 4 months;
Some general care can also be done in conjunction with these treatments already mentioned.
The use of anti-wrinkle and anti-aging creams, acids and sunscreens is necessary.
Dermatologists can also teach facial massages and gymnastics that stimulate blood circulation and the production of new cells.
Each type of stain requires a different treatment. Some can be treated with creams or ointments (ringworm), others require the use of specific lights and lasers (severe cases of vitiligo ). Some spots ( acne ) still require the use of acidic creams to remove the stained tissue and stimulate the production of new cells.
There are still some types that can be indicative of skin cancer . These spots can change color or size and need a doctor’s evaluation.
Know each type of stain and the most recommended treatment for each one:
The blemishes caused by the healing of the skin after acne usually have a more reddish or brown tone.
Depending on each case, peeling is one of the most appropriate forms of treatment.
This technique uses some substances (such as trichloroacetic acid) to stimulate the production of new cells and tissues.
This disease causes the appearance of light spots on the skin.
They can be treated with ultraviolet lights and creams that stimulate skin color.
Treatment should be prescribed by a dermatologist who will be able to assess each case.
Ringworm is caused by several types of fungus that can be present on human skin and the fur of animals.
They cause spots that can be whitish or brown.
In such cases, the doctor will prescribe a cream or ointment to fight the fungus and thus avoid new manifestations.
If the contaminated area is large (such as the back or belly), the dermatologist may prescribe an oral medication that should be taken as directed.
Sunburn is also caused only by prolonged exposure of the skin to the sun or when sun protection is misused.
The skin treatment, in this case, can be done with the use of exfoliation creams and the method of application may be recommended by a dermatologist.
In the most severe cases, the patient may be asked to do between 2 and 15 sessions with lasers, depending on the need.
Red spots can be caused by several factors such as allergies, irritations and dermatitis .
Therefore, it is recommended to seek the help of a professional who can identify the cause.
In the vast majority of cases, a cream or ointment is prescribed, being used for a few weeks until it has subsided or treated completely.
In some cases, birth spots can be permanent. But only a dermatologist can make this diagnosis.
Even if this is the case, you should talk to the specialist about the possibility of having a treatment to reduce or resemble the stain to the skin tone.
Acne, blackheads and whiteheads
First of all, it is good to emphasize that pimples or blackheads should not be poked or squeezed .
This is because this practice can cause inflammation or further increase the amount of pimples or blackheads.
The best form of treatment should be prescribed by a dermatologist. Among them are:
- Creams and gels to prevent them from spreading;
- Soaps to clean the skin or fight oiliness;
- Oral medications;
- Lasers and procedures with lights (ultraviolet, for example);
- Surgeries, in severe cases and of infection.
In some cases (due to genetics), dark circles are permanent and need to be treated by a specialist. The professional may recommend some creams or request several sessions of lasers, pulsating light or microneedling. But if dark circles are mild, they can be softened at home with very easy tricks:
- Cold chamomile compresses: boil the chamomile as if you were going to make a tea. Then, just wait for it to cool and use a piece of cotton or gauze to make compresses over the eye area. This is because chamomile decreases the dilation of blood vessels, which lightens the skin;
- Cucumber or potato slices : cut two slices of cucumber or potato and refrigerate until cool. Then, place them over your eyes for approximately 20 minutes, washing your face with warm water last. This trick works because these ingredients soothe the skin and decrease swelling;
- Ice: wrap an ice stone in a cloth or towel and make compresses in the eye area for about 10 seconds. The cold helps to deflate the dark circles.
Clinical methods of treating dark circles include:
- Hyaluronic acid .
Dry skin can be solved with homemade solutions in most cases. The use of moisturizers, exfoliating creams and face masks can help combat this dryness. Often, just a good cleansing of the skin and keeping the body hydrated are enough for the skin to recover.
Correct nutrition can also be a great ally against dry skin. In addition to water intake, foods rich in vitamins and minerals (fruits and vegetables) and lean proteins (meats, eggs) should be included in the diet .
But, even with the effort, the skin does not improve, a dermatologist can indicate the best form of treatment.
This professional should also be sought if, in addition to the dryness, the skin presents redness, itching, wounds, scars caused by the itching or infections.
In such cases, creams manipulated with specific formulas (containing urea, lactic acid and other substances) may be indicated.
There are several types of skin treatment, which can vary according to each situation.
In all cases, it is recommended to seek the help of a dermatologist who will be able to assess all situations, prescribe and do all the procedures that are necessary.
The Healthy Minute also has other information about skin health. Check out our posts !!!