High fever is not a disease, but it is usually the symptom of a disease, often caused by an infection .
Depending on age, health conditions and fever, you could:
- Need treatment,
- Wait for it to disappear spontaneously.
Fever is a natural defense mechanismagainst infections because excessive temperature:
- It hinders the survival and proliferation of harmful viruses, bacteria and other microorganisms that need a temperature of about 37 °,
- It increases the metabolism of the body cells and therefore the immune system becomes stronger.
Generally, the fever is not considered dangerous.
However, if it is too high, the body is no longer able to control body temperature.
- 1 High fever in newborn and child
- 2 When to worry about high fever?
- 3 Symptoms that may accompany high fever
- 4 Symptoms that can accompany high fever in children
- 5 Causes of high fever in adults
- 6 Causes of high fever in children
- 7 What to do? Which medications to take? How to download it?
- 8 Natural and Home Remedies for High Fever
- 9 Diet and diet for high fever
What is high fever?
The normal body temperature measured:
- In the mouth should be 36.8 ± 0.7 °,
- At the level of the armpit more than 37.1 ° is considered fever (or pyrexia).
- It is higher at night ,
- In the morning it is lower because the body burns less substance nutrients when it sleeps.
High fever in newborn and child
High fever in newborns can cause brain damage, causing long-term effects such as:
- Reduced growth,
- Loss of vision ,
- Motor disorders, etc.
The baby’s or child’s immune system is not as strong as an adult’s, so much attention is needed.
Babies have a higher body temperature than adults.
- Newborn : For children younger than 3 months, a rectal temperature of 38 ° C (37.5 axillary) is considered to be a fever.
- Baby from 3 to 6 months : the internal temperature of 38.8-39 ° C (body 38.3 ° C) is considered a high fever.
- Children over 6 months : for children aged at least 6 months, the body temperature of 39.4 ° C is considered to be an excessive fever.
To measure the temperature in babies, the most reliable value is obtained with the rectal electric thermometer.
Compared with the temperature measured under the armpit, the rectal is internal and therefore is higher than 0.5 degrees.
When to worry about high fever?
- Young people and adults: in case of fever above 40 degrees it is necessary to go to the doctor or hospital.
- Persistent high fever (for more than two days).
- If there are other symptoms.
Symptoms that may accompany high fever
Persistent high fever is a cause for concern and the following symptoms may occur in the body:
- Confusion (reduced ability to think)
- Epilepsy or seizures (rare, only in children with genetic predisposition)
- Fatigue (lack of energy)
- Dark urine (dark yellow) – may indicate problems in the liver.
- Abnormal behavior or delirium
- White tongue
- Rashes , spots and red spots on the skin (especially in children who may have measles, chickenpox, rubella, etc.)
- Plaques in the throat – for example, in case of pharyngitis or tonsillitis
- Pain in the belly (eg in the case of gastroenteritis )
- Swollen lymph glands , for example, if the patient suffers from AIDS , mononucleosis , herpes , etc.
- Rapid heart rate (tachycardia)
- Headache , joint and muscle pain are other frequent symptoms of seasonal flu.
High fever is not a symptom of pregnancy .
Symptoms that can accompany high fever in children
- The newborn is irritated,
- Avoid eating and playing,
- You can sleep a lot or not sleep for nothing,
- Breathe more quickly, may have difficulty breathing ( shortness of breath ),
- Breathing difficulties can also cause purple lips,
- Cough ,
- Ear pain ,
- The child feels very hot or cold,
- In some cases, the child vomits constantly and may become pale.
Causes of high fever in adults
Among the causes of high fever are:
The exposure to toxins or allergic reaction to drugs can cause high fever in adults.
Pancreatitis: This is a disease that causes inflammation of the pancreas.
The pancreatitis is characterized by:
- Severe abdominal pain ,
- Fever reaching up to 39.5 degrees.
The disease is the consequence of invasion of digestive enzymes and can cause:
- Bleeding ,
- Serious damage to tissues.
Heat stroke : Heat stroke occurs due to prolonged exposure to the sun. When a person stays in a very hot environment, the body temperature can increase and exceeds 40 degrees.
The dehydration and sports training for a long time can cause this symptom.
With a suitable treatment the fever lasts only 1 day.
Viral Infection: Viral infections such as colds and seasonal flu are one of the most common causes of high fever in children and adults.
The main symptom of colds is a stuffy nose , it also occurs:
- A congestion in the chest,
- Muscle aches ,
It usually causes a low fever. Influenza
fever lasts for at least 4/5 days but in case of relapse the duration is longer, at least a week. However, if the infection is severe, the fever may reach above 39 ° and may cause:
In such cases, urgent treatment is required.
The AIDS is a syndrome that may be caused by HIV. The HIV virus progressively weakens the immune system and can cause intermittent high fever.
- Non-stop cough ,
- You have chest pain .
Bacteria affect the intestinal tract, causing:
In addition, they can raise the body temperature.
Malaria: High fever in adults can also be caused by a parasitic infection that spreads through mosquito bites.
Malaria occurs through the bite of the Anopheles mosquito and anyone who has this disease also suffers from:
The Lyme disease is caused by tick bite and can cause various symptoms, including:
- High fever,
- Muscle aches,
- Headaches .
Without treatment this disease can get worse and can cause problems:
- From heart,
- Of the nerves.
High fever after childbirth (above 38 ° C) should not be neglected because it may be caused by:
- A uterine infection,
- Perineal incision infection.
Some types of cancer can cause high fever, especially in advanced stages, for example liver cancer .
Causes of high fever in children
The causes of high fever in children who are growing up can be:
- Viral and bacterial infections,
- The allergy to certain medications,
- The dental eruption (when teeth are born),
- The vaccines,
- Otitis: is a bacterial or fungal infection that affects the ear.
- Meningitis: The protective membranes of the brain and spinal cord are called meninges .
When these membranes become inflamed we speak of meningitis.
Sudden high fever and neck pain are the most common symptoms of meningitis, the thermometer usually indicates a temperature above 39.5 degrees.
What to do? Which medications to take? How to download it?
High fever indicates that the immune system is busy defending the body against infections.
When the temperature of the body is lowered with medication, it is possible to prolong the duration of the illness because a higher temperature helps the immune defense of the body.
In case of infection, the body tries to fight the infection by raising the temperature and thus creating an unfavorable environment for the bacteria.
When is therapy necessary?
However in case of high fever it is necessary to avoid possible damages to other organs.
Adults under 40 ° fever do not need to worry because it does not cause complications, so it is best to avoid antipyretic drugs (to reduce fever).
Generally the doctor recites acetaminophen to reduce body temperature.
If fever does not subside with paracetamol after a few days, there may be a serious infection in the body.
You should report any symptoms to the doctor (eg, photophobia , rash or shortness of breath ) because they may be important:
- No diagnosis,
- For treatment.
When is it necessary to take an antibiotic?
In the case of bacterial infection, your doctor may prescribe antibiotics to fight bacteria.
If the disease is caused by a virus do not serve the antibiotics.
Natural and Home Remedies for High Fever
Among the medicines to combat fever without medicines are:
Drinking water is one of the ways to decrease fever naturally.
In this way it is possible to recover lost water through:
- Excessive sweating,
- Vomiting (when it occurs).
It is important to rest and refrain from any physical activity or effort to restore normal body temperature.
The goal is to help the body expel unwanted substances and microbes.
The infusion of sacred basil (Ocimum Sanctum) is a good medicine for fever.
For the preparation we recommend boiling 1 liter of water with 25 g of holy basil leaves until the liquid becomes dense.
Serve with cardamom powder.
Normal basil leaves can be used to prepare a juice:
- Wash the fresh basil leaves and prick to make the juice,
- Dilute the spoons of that basil juice in a glass of water,
- Drink 2 – 3 times a day.
Body temperature should drop rapidly.
Bath with sponge
Among Grandmother’s remedies to lower high fever you can take a sponge bath.
The effectiveness of the cold bath as a treatment for fever is questionable.
So to be sure, you can wash the armpits, face, back and other areas of the body with a damp sponge at regular intervals.
Juice Grapefruit juice, oranges and lemons is effective for the treatment of fever.
- They give a cooling effect,
- Reduce thirst,
- They nourish the body,
- They strengthen the immune system to fight infections.
Tamarind is an antimicrobial substance that can be used to combat:
- Viral infections.
- Crush the tamarind leaves together with a piece of turmeric root.
- Pour into a very hot glass of water,
- Drink the tea.
Juice Apricot juice or other fresh fruits is a restorative and is effective in treating fever.
Prepare apricot juice at home:
- Wash 500g of ripe apricots,
- Cut the apricots into small pieces
- Put in a pan
- Add half a liter of water,
- Heat slowly for 10 minutes,
- Turn off the fire,
- Add the juice of 1 lemon,
- Mix the compound,
- Dilute with water.
- Pour one teaspoon of honey to increase its therapeutic properties.
- Mix well and serve.
As an alternative to apricots, you can use other seasonal fruits such as:
Honey, lemon and ginger
A drink made with honey, lemon juice and ginger is an ancient remedy for treating viral infections.
You can cure a fever caused by a virus by drinking a drink with:
- 1 glass of hot water,
- 1 teaspoon of honey,
- 1 lemon juice
- Chopped ginger
We recommend drinking this drink two or three times a day.
Alcohol use for high fever
Alcohol cools the skin because it evaporates soon.
We do not recommend using alcohol because:
- When the child’s body cools very quickly with alcohol or a cold bath, the child may start shaking, this causes an increase in temperature.
- In addition, alcohol can be absorbed through the skin and inhaled, so there is a risk of alcohol intoxication.
Watch for Ice for Fever
Avoid putting ice packs on your head or groin as they may cause the opposite effect, ie increase the internal temperature.
Diet and diet for high fever
According to natural medicine and hygienism, food is the most important thing to heal.
According to the hygienists, to heal quickly nothing should be done and also need to be avoided :
- Medications (which are considered poisons),
- Remedies and herbs (increase toxins in the body).
A light and natural diet based on fruits and vegetables is the fastest therapy.
A short fast is certainly the most effective therapy (if there are no contraindications).
If the patient has no appetite because of the fever, it is not advisable to go against nature and eat.
The chicken soup has always been considered a staple food, in fact, during cooking absorbs all the toxins of the animal ‘s muscles.
Then the body intoxication increases and the recovery times become longer.