A healthy diet and exercise are essential, but in some cases, a fast-acting natural remedy for nasal congestion is needed.
Natural remedies for nasal congestion
Steam therapy with a decongestant oil
- Place a bowl of hot water on the table.
- Add 2-3 drops of a decongestant essential oil (for example, eucalyptus).
- Hold your head over the bowl.
- Cover with a towel.
- Inhale the steam.
Chamomile can also be used instead of the essential oil.
on an onion Onions have a decongestant effect, because they lead to the formation of a liquid that frees the nose.
- Cut open an onion.
- Smell it intensely.
Nasal rinses The Jala-Neti-Set is used for nasal rinses
, because these free the stuffy nose.
It is a pot with a handle on one side and a spout on the other.
Technique for performing nasal rinsing
- Dissolve 1 tsp salt (9 g) in one liter of water.
- Fill the pot with the salt water.
- Place in front of the sink.
- Tilt your head to the right.
- Insert the opening of the pot into the left nostril.
- The water enters through the left nostril and exits through the right.
- Blow your nose and repeat the rinse on the other side.
This technique is incredibly effective and simple.
It can also be used on small children, but with a syringe without a needle.
nasal sprays are very effective, even the over-the-counter ones.
Water and salt are used to prepare your own nasal spray for nasal congestion.
The recommended amount of salt is 1 teaspoon (7-9 g) per liter of water.
Too much salt can irritate the mucous membranes.
- Boil a cup of water with 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Allow this mixture to cool.
- Fill a nasal pump spray bottle with it and spray into the nostrils.
It is recommended to place at least 2 pillows under the head and shoulders to prevent nocturnal nasal congestion.
When a patient lies down, mucus quickly collects in the nose.
Emergency aid: nasal massage
Immediate relief brings a massage of the nose and surrounding muscles.
Proper manipulation by a specialist or the patient himself clears the nose and improves breathing even when the cold has already passed.
Each has a nostril through which they breathe better, while the other is “blocked” due to:
- muscular problems,
- connective tissue problems.
The nostril with reduced breathing usually reacts more sensitive to pain to touch.
- You have to press on the outside of the nose, but be careful to leave out the skull bones, especially cheekbones and nose bones.
- Press on the hardened muscle tissue for about 1-2 minutes until you feel it loosen.
- Massage the area of the sides of the nose, under the eyes and in the case of sinusitis also under the eyebrows.
- The harder areas, i.e. where the skin shifts less, require an intensive approach.
If the massage is performed correctly, the nose will be cleared within a few minutes, and in the long term, improved air flow can be noted.
This therapy is based on:
- deactivation of trigger points (local muscle hardening from which transferred pain can originate),
- manipulation of connective tissue,
- Shiatsu (oriental form of therapy that brings the body back into its energetic balance).
Remedy for nasal congestion in pregnancy
This is a fast-acting remedy to clear the nose.
- Hot shower.
- Inhale the steam until it gets better.
Do not use in case of fever.
Dry air can irritate the nasal cavities and sinuses. A humidifier creates an environment with the right humidity.
Always add distilled water to the humidifier to keep the room air free of:
- white dust,
- Fungi or germs.
You can also hang a freshly washed sheet to moisten the environment.
Phytotherapy for nasal congestion
Among the self-made means, ginger is an excellent plant that can cure many diseases.
It has antibiotic properties that help fight infections.
In case of nasal congestion:
- Peel a piece of fresh ginger (5 g).
- Cut into slices.
- Bring a cup of water to a boil.
- Remove from the fire and wait 5 minutes.
- Add the ginger to the hot water.
- Leave to infuse for 10 minutes.
- Drink the ginger tea in small sips.
- Inhale the steam.
This drink frees the nose and throat and thus helps breathing.
Those who have a sore throat should add a tablespoon of honey to the tea.
Basil is an effective remedy for nasal congestion, because it has a healing effect on infections.
- 1 tsp ginger powder or 3 slices of fresh ginger
- 2 basil leaves
- 1 tea bag green tea
Leave to infuse for 10 minutes and drink this drink three times a day.
This is a good remedy to use before bedtime.
Apply a decongestant oil such as Tiger Balm or Vicks Sinex Aloe to:
With a cold, it can be applied to the chest before bedtime.
Eucalyptus oil Before leaving the house, drizzle a few drops of eucalyppus oil
on a handkerchief and put it in your pocket.
Every time the nose feels stuffy, inhale with the handkerchief, then there is a quick relief.
Homeopathic remedies for nasal congestion
Before taking any medication, homeopathy takes into account all the symptoms of the disease.
If the nasal secretion is yellow, tough and the disorder improves when you leave the house, Pulsatilla is recommended.
According to homeopaths, this remedy is also effective for other diseases, such as:
- Menstrual pain.
The application of Pulsatilla is carried out 4 to 5 times a day. To do this, 3-4 granules must be placed under the tongue.
Potassium bichromicum (potassium bichromate) is taken on sticky, whitish mucus when the patient has had a cold.
The dose of potassium bichromicum is:
- 4 drops 3 times a day,
- or 2-3 pills 3 times a day.
If you suffer from an allergy and tend to catch a cold when the weather changes, you can take Dulcamara. The dose for this remedy is 10 drops in the mouth, 3 times a day.
Diet and nutrition for nasal congestion
According to doctors, chicken broth has a beneficial effect on nasal congestion.
Prepare a soup with garlic and sprinkle some pepper on top.
You can add a little lemon juice to the broth.
Pepper and garlic are suitable for the treatment of many respiratory diseases.
Chicken together with pepper and garlic is an excellent remedy for nasal congestion.
According to hygienism (a natural medicine), chicken broth absorbs all the toxins contained in the muscles of the animal, and thus can aggravate the situation.
One based on diet based on fruits, vegetables and potatoes is a quick and effective remedy.
Spicy foods If spicy foods
are eaten, the nose is immediately cleared.
Eating fresh chili peppers quickly frees the nose from constipation.
You can add a chilli pepper to pasta or rice.
Tabasco sauce can cause stomach discomfort.
Fast-acting remedies for evening and nocturnal nasal congestion
Nasal patches Using nasal strips that make breathing easier can clear nasal congestion.
The patches widen the nostrils and the air can thus pass more easily.
Place a patch over the nostrils to get quick relief.
These nasal patches help against snoring, so they are ideal for the night.
Steam therapy is effective for nasal congestion and other respiratory diseases.
It is recommended to add 2-3 drops of eucalyptus oil to the hot water.
Alternatively, the following can be used:
- peppermint oil,
- chamomile oil,
- Tea tree oil.
Carry out the treatment before bedtime, taking a deep breath.
Eucalyptus oil You can drizzle a few drops of eucalyptus essential oil
on your pillow.
The scent makes it easier to sleep with nasal congestion.
This method also works well with:
- Lavender oil
- Tea tree oil.
But eucalyptus oil is the most effective.
Remedies for nasal congestion in infants
Steam inhalation of steam is one of the best ways to relieve nasal congestion in children.
The action of the steam liquefies the nasal secretions in the child.
As a result, the nasal secretions flow outwards, the nasal passages are freed and breathing is improved.
You can bring water to a boil in a saucepan, which is then placed near the child.
Salt water is a well-known remedy for closed nose.
To prepare a saline solution yourself, it is necessary to prepare a mixture of:
- 1 cup with lukewarm water,
- 1/2 teaspoon of table salt or baking soda.
- With the help of a pipette, drizzle a few drops of this solution into the nostrils of the child (one drop per nostril is enough in most cases).
- After that, lightly massage the child’s nose on both sides.
This solution can also be nebulized and an aerosol can be produced.
Two types of nasal suction devices are available on the market:
Rubber syringe A rubber syringe is a suction device similar to a bulb that has a rubber ball that ends in a thin tube similar to a syringe.
- Squeeze the rubber ball to let the air out to form a negative pressure.
- Then insert the end of the tube into one nostril of the infant and slowly release the ball.
The mucus is sucked into the rubber balloon.
- You can drizzle a few drops of salt water into your nostrils a few minutes before to make the nasal mucus more fluid.
Electric nasal aspirators
An electric nasal aspirator consists of:
- a silicone spout;
- a cover;
- a collection container;
- an ON-OFF switch;
- a small battery-powered motor.
The spout is inserted into the infant’s nose and the mucus is sucked out.
Inside the container there is a filter to avoid contamination.
- Nasal congestion or impaired nasal breathing
- What helps against colds?
- Earache in children: natural remedies and home remedies