The properties of tea tree essential oil (also called Melaleuca oil or tea tree oil) are many.
Tea tree oil is great for the skin and hair, it can also relieve the symptoms of:
- Respiratory diseases, including sinusitis, tonsillitis , bronchitis , tuberculosis,
- Viral or bacterial infections .
We recommend buying good quality tea tree oil at a pharmacy or drugstore.
One of the important points to clarify is that the oil is used for external application, it should not be ingested (you can only ingest it in small quantities and diluted): it is toxic for both humans and animals.
All uses and indications of tea tree essential oil
Tea tree oil to clean the house
Since tea tree oil has antibacterial and antifungal properties, it is used as a disinfectant.
Disinfectant for home
- Add 5 or 6 drops of this diluted oil to 2 cups of water,
- Pour the mixture into a spray bottle to clean the house.
Disinfectant for laundry
The sanitizing action of tea tree oil is also excellent for:
- Wash dishes.
You can add a few drops to the laundry detergent for better household hygiene.
Since melaleuca oil has anti-bacterial properties, it also works as a treatment for:
Cleaning the face with tea tree oil You
need to prepare a mixture of 5 or 6 drops of diluted tea tree in a glass of warm water and wash the face regularly with this solution.
It is also possible to spill the oil in a cotton ball to buffer the affected area.
Since tea tree oil can dry the delicate skin, you may want to add a few drops of almond oil.
We recommend using very diluted tea tree oil (2 drops in one cup) for acne rosaceacaused by Demodex mite.
We must be careful because:
- The skin of patients with rosacea is particularly sensitive,
- Tea tree oil can worsen redness.
- It fights bacteria,
- Restores the luminosity of the skin.
In one study it was observed that a solution containing 5% tea tree oil is effective against acne as much as 5% benzoyl peroxide compound products.
Many people affected by acne that use products that contain benzoyl peroxide note that the skin becomes flaky and report a burning and itching sensation .
Diluted melaleuca oil produces fewer side effects and is as effective in treating acne.
Tea tree oil for warts
People who have used tea tree oil on warts consider it as one of the best treatment options available to fight the infection.
Tea tree oil is applied topically for the treatment of warts.
The oil can not be used directly on the wart because it causes an irritation to the skin.
Therefore it dilutes the essence with an equal amount of water or aloe vera gel and applies on the warts.
This procedure should be repeated twice a day.
You can make a bandage with a solution of tea tree oil and almond oil applied overnight. The amount of oil should be:
- 50% tea tree oil,
- 50% almond oil.
When you spread the oil at night, you need to cover the area with a gauze bandage to ensure a better oil penetration.
Melaleuca oil as a repellent for mosquitoes and insects
Melaleuca oil is a good repellent.
You need to prepare a spray with:
- 15 drops of tea tree oil,
- 250 ml of water.
Pour this mixture into a spray bottle and place on the affected area.
This spray works against:
Tea tree oil is a natural treatment for bad breath .
It should be diluted in water and used as a mouthwash regularly to resolve:
Put three drops of oil in a glass of warm water and then rinse the mouth about 2 or 3 times a day.
The tea tree oil is also useful:
- In case of toothache ,
- To whiten your teeth.
Pour a drop of tea tree oil into your toothpaste before brushing your teeth.
The oil is very effective for the treatment of canker sores in the mouth:
- Take a cotton swab,
- Add 3 drops of tea tree oil,
- Apply directly on the cold sore,
- Repeat 2-3 times a day.
The health benefits offered by tea tree oil are many.
In addition it serves to treat:
Inhalation of steam with tea tree oil
The infusion of tea tree oil vapor spreads through the nose and paranasal sinuses, ears and the respiratory system because they are connected to each other.
Here it kills the bacteria.
- Add 2-3 drops of essential oil in a bowl with boiling water,
- Cover the head with a towel,
- Inhale the steam for 5 minutes.
The cold and the congestion improve in a few minutes.
Tea tree oil is a very effective remedy for otitis .
- 3 drops tea tree oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Mix the ingredients,
- Fill an eyedropper with this solution,
- lie down on the healthy side with your head on a towel,
- Pour a few drops of solution into the diseased ear. Do not pour pure tea tree oil into your ear because it could cause hearing loss (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10720822).
- Do not move for 5-10 minutes,
- Allowing the fluid to flow out of the ear,
- Repeat 3 times a day for three days.
Tea tree oil for hair
Treatment for dandruff
To solve this problem of dandruff it is possible to use a shampoo based on essential oil of melaleuca.
You can add 5 drops of this oil to wash your hair regularly to eliminate dandruff.
The benefits of tea tree oil include:
- Eradicate yeast or fungal microorganisms in order to make them “clean”,
- Release the follicles.
So dandruff is eliminated.
Against oily hair and seborrheic dermatitis
Tea tree oil is effective in treating seborrheic dermatitis on the scalp but may cause:
- Allergic reactions,
- Other side effects.
Getting Rid of Hair Lice
Among the uses of the natural oil tea tree oil we also find the disinfection of lice.
Tea tree oil also helps to get rid of lice in the hair, this is a popular product among parents of small children.
The lice infestation is irritating and can give rise to a number of health problems.
Tea tree oil repels these insects.
The essential oil can be used in shampoo:
- Add 8 drops of Melaleuca oil in a mild shampoo.
- Massage the head for 15 minutes.
- Rinse and repeat the wash.
- Before applying the shampoo again, put 2 drops of oil in the hair and then apply the shampoo again.
Viral, bacterial and fungal infections
Melaleuca oil is used to prevent and treat tinea corporis and tinea pedis (athlete’s foot).
The remedy is particularly useful when you go camping.
If you just apply a few drops on your feet or spreads on the bathroom floor.
This behavior avoids the prescription and administration of antifungal treatment.
A foot fungus is common among people who:
- They wear closed shoes most of the time,
- They live in a hot and humid climate.
In case of fungal infection in other parts of the body (for example, tinea corporis), you can apply a paste made with:
- Sodium bicarbonate,
- Tea tree oil.
- Mix one teaspoon of baking soda with a few drops of water to form a paste,
- Add 3-4 drops of Melaleuca essential oil,
- Apply the paste with a gauze over the skin where the lesion is,
- Let it dry on the skin,
- Rinse and repeat 3-4 times a day.
Tea tree oil for cold sores, herpes zoster and psoriasis
In order to treat cold sores, this oil is applied over the blisters with a cotton ball at least twice a day.
Tea tree oil also exists as a cream or ointment in combination with other oils (eg calendula and jojoba) to apply on the lips.
For this purpose, apply the oil as soon as the first symptoms appear, such as:
- Sensations of ardence.
Can be used in concentrated forms, but works well also diluted in:
- Lavender oil,
- Almond oil.
If used neat, it can dry the skin and worsen the lesions on the face.
To avoid causing an allergic reaction, you can perform an allergy test before using the product on the affected area.
Equal amounts of water and essential oil are usually used to prepare the product.
It is necessary to continue applying this oil until:
- The crusts disappear,
- The skin returns to normal.
Each time you apply the cold sore oil, you should use a damp cloth to gently remove:
- Dry skin,
- The crusts.
Ringworm and Candida
Tea tree oil for yeast infection ( candida ).
The use of tea tree oil for yeast infection is a great way to treat the problem.
To treat vaginal candida, prepare a solution and mix:
- 5 drops of Melaleuca essential oil,
- One teaspoon of white wine vinegar.
This solution is calculated for one liter of water.
- Fill a bowl with hot water,
- Add the solution of tea tree oil and vinegar (adjust the dose based on the liters of water),
- Soak the vulva in this bowl for 5-10 minutes,
- Wash area.
This should be done on a daily basis for a week for best results.
In drugstores and pharmacies are vaginal suppositories (such as Tea Tree Therapy) with tea tree oil against candida .
These suppositories contain 0.2 g of Melaleuca oil and are designed for internal use.
- Put the suppository before going to bed,
- Remove the next morning.
Cystitis, vaginitis, gardnerella vaginalis and intimate hygiene
Tea tree oil is a good product to treat:
- Cystitis ,
This oil is indicated by its antibacterial action.
It can be diluted in water (5 drops per liter) to make vaginal douches.
Application of pure tea tree oil to the skin
The maximum benefit of the treatment can be achieved by following the correct mode of application.
- Before applying, you need to try spreading the oil on the arm.
- We recommend continuing with the application if there is no skin reaction, for example a contact dermatitis.
- If using a cotton swab.
- If the compress is soaked with 2-3 drops of pure melaleuca oil.
- Then it is applied to the skin.
- Cover the area with a bandage overnight.
How much does tea tree oil cost?
You can find a container of 10 ml pure tea tree essential oil at a price of 20-30 reais.
Contraindications and Side Effects of Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is contraindicated:
- In pregnancy,
- During breastfeeding.