Dorflex is a well-known medicine and used to treat problems such as back pain or headaches.
However, just like any medication, you need to be aware of the instructions on the package insert and understand how it works. In addition, knowing the contraindications and side effects of the remedy is also of paramount importance.
Next, check out everything you need to know about Dorflex:
- 1 What is Dorflex?
- 2 What is the medicine Dorflex for?
- 3 What is the composition?
- 4 What is Dorflex Uno?
- 5 What is the effect of a muscle relaxant? Do you sleep?
- 6 How does dorflex know where it hurts?
- 7 When should I take Dorflex?
- 8 What milligram is available?
- 9 Dosage: how to use according to the package leaflet?
- 10 How long does Dorflex take to take effect?
- 11 What are the side effects of Dorflex?
- 12 Contraindication: who can’t take it?
- 13 Price: what is the average value of Dorflex?
- 14 Is it bad to take Dorflex every day?
- 15 What is the difference between Dorflex and Torsilax
What is Dorflex?
More specifically, its formula has 300mg of dipyrone monohydrate, 35mg of orphenadrine citrate (muscle relaxant) and 50mg of anhydrous caffeine, which enhances the analgesic effect of dipyrone.
The available presentations of this medication are for oral administration, in tablet or drops.
In general, the package insert indicates that it is a fast-acting medication, and it has the first effects in the first 30 minutes after ingestion.
It is worth noting that although it is a well-known and safe remedy, there are some restrictions on use. For example, it should not be administered by pregnant women, nursing mothers, people suffering from glaucoma , problems in the gastrointestinal system, etc.
In addition, like any medication, Dorflex can also cause some side effects in those who use it (such as drowsiness, for example). This reinforces the need to seek medical help and not practice self-medication .
Is it antipyretic?
No . The Dorflex drug is not indicated for the treatment of fever , considering that it has no antipyretic action.
This remedy acts as a painkiller and muscle relaxant, so it is indicated for the treatment of problems related to pain and discomfort – such as headache , for example.
However, the Dorflex Uno version has antipyretic action, so it can be used to treat a feverish state.
What is the medicine Dorflex for?
According to the information on the package insert, the drug Dorflex is indicated for the relief of pain related to excessive muscle contraction, such as:
- Tension headache;
- Back pain;
- Muscle aches in general – like torticollis or even in cases of diseases that affect the muscles, such as fibromyalgia.
This is possible due to the form of action of the medication, which has an analgesic and muscle relaxing effect due to its components – orphenadrine citrate, caffeine and dipyrone. These act on muscle contractures of inflammatory or traumatic origin .
In addition, these substances also act on the headache. So that its action is directly related to the inhibition of enzymes that cause pain.
It is worth mentioning that self-medication is not recommended. Therefore, even if you have any of the symptoms, it is important to seek professional help before taking this (or other) medication.
What is the composition?
According to the information on the medication’s official website, the composition of Dorflex (tablet or oral solution, in drops) is:
- 300mg of dipyrone monohydrate;
- 35mg of orfenadrin citrate (equivalent to 20.4mg of orphanadine base);
- 50mg of anhydrous caffeine.
Therefore, the medication has a combination of an analgesic (dipyrone) and a muscle relaxant (orphenadrine). In addition, it has caffeine, whose main function is to potentiate the analgesic effects of dipyrone.
What is Dorflex Uno?
The medicine Dorflex Uno is a variation of Dorflex. The difference is that this new version, as the name suggests, is intended for a single dose with great effectiveness.
This proposal is based on the fact that Dorflex Uno has 1,000 mg of dipyrone in a single tablet, which represents a high concentration of painkiller when compared with other similar medications.
Unlike the Dorflex package insert, this version can be indicated not only for the treatment of pain but also for fever (acting as an antipyretic).
In addition, it is worth mentioning that it is available in tablets and in effervescent formula. The action time is 30 to 60 minutes, and can last for up to 4 hours after ingestion.
What is the effect of a muscle relaxant? Do you sleep?
As the name suggests, a muscle relaxant’s main function is to relieve muscle tension. Therefore, they work by reducing muscle spasms caused by acute pain and provide relaxation.
These spasms occur from an involuntary contraction of a group of muscles. Usually, this group contracts suddenly and causes pain. As a result, spasms cause the muscles to become stiff and difficult to move.
In general, it can be said that spasms occur as a protective mechanism for muscles after injuries, inflammation or stretching (in them or in nearby tissues, such as bones and ligaments).
In this sense, a muscle relaxant can be used in order to relieve pain in the muscles caused by sprains or even some diseases – such as fibromyalgia .
Due to the feeling of relaxation, some drugs of this therapeutic class may cause sleepiness . However, if you experience this symptom in a potentiated or abnormal way, do not hesitate to seek medical help.
How does dorflex know where it hurts?
In our body, we have several receptors, among them pain . Their job is to send information to the brain about what is happening to the body.
For example, when we get hurt, the receptors tell our brain about the area that is weakened. From there, the brain interprets the message and provides stimuli that make us feel the pain – like a warning for something that is wrong and needs attention.
In this sense, Dorflex “knows where it hurts” because it is able to identify those receptors that are sending signals to the brain – thus, interrupting (or decreasing) the signals. Consequently, the brain stops producing pain stimuli.
When should I take Dorflex?
The use of Dorflex is indicated for the relief of headaches or mild muscle that are not frequent. So, you can treat the discomfort caused by everyday situations – such as intense physical exercise, sleeping badly, headache, stiff neck, etc.
When the pain is recurrent, it is ideal to seek medical help, considering that they are probably not related to any of the mentioned causes. In such cases, the pain may be manifesting itself as the symptom of another disease.
In addition, it is worth mentioning that in the case of everyday pain, the medicine does not necessarily have to be the first option, before you can choose other care.
To relieve muscle pain, for example, you can make compresses (hot or cold) or take a longer bath. These stimuli can help you relax and lessen the discomfort.
What milligram is available?
The Dorflex drug has the same composition in its tablet or oral solution version. Thus, the milligram of the medication corresponds to 300 mg (dipyrone) + 35 mg (orphenadrine citrate) + 50 mg (anhydrous caffeine).
In the case of the drop version (oral solution), this milligram corresponds to each mL.
There is also the Dorflex Uno version which has 1,000mg (dipyrone) per tablet or effervescent tablet.
Dosage: how to use according to the package leaflet?
The Dorflex package insert always indicates the ingestion of the medication by mouth, either in drops or tablets – should be administered with liquid (½ to 1 cup).
As for the dosage, the indication is 1 to 2 tablets daily, which can be divided into 3 or 4 different doses. So it is not safe to exceed this limit .
Regarding the oral solution version, you can use 30 to 60 drops daily. This can also be divided into 3 or 4 doses. The limit must not be exceeded.
Finally, the package insert for the Dorflex Uno version indicates that the recommended dose is ½ to 1 tablet per day (considering the high concentration of painkiller). It is possible to divide this amount into up to 4 doses, to be administered throughout the day.
Therefore, regardless of the version, an interval of at least 6 hours between each dose should be expected. Remember to always follow the medical prescription.
How long does Dorflex take to take effect?
According to the instructions on the package insert, Dorflex starts to act after 30 minutes after ingesting the medication – orally, through a tablet or solution in drops.
However, factors with the cause and intensity of pain influence the duration of action.
However, if the medication does not take effect in a period close to that indicated (30 minutes) and the symptoms persist, do not take another dose and seek medical advice .
What are the side effects of Dorflex?
Like any medication, Dorflex can also cause side effects for those who use it. In this sense, the package insert indicates some of the possible adverse reactions that may occur:
- Cardiac disorders – such as reduced or increased heart rate, cardiac arrhythmias, palpitations;
- Disorders of the immune system – shock or anaphylactic reactions (may manifest with skin symptoms, shortness of breath or gastrointestinal symptoms), asthmatic attack, low blood pressure;
- Disorders of the skin and subcutaneous tissue – rash, manifestation of Stevens-Johnson Syndrome or Lyell Syndrome (both affect mucous membranes and are severe allergic reactions that require hospital care);
- Disorders of the blood and lymphatic system – such as plasma anemia, leukopenia (reduction of white blood cells in the blood), thrombocytopenia (reduction in the number of platelets);
- Vascular disorders – drop in blood pressure;
- Renal and urinary disorders – in rare cases there may be worsening of kidney function, especially in patients who have already had a kidney problem.
It is worth noting that these reactions are, in general, of low incidence. Apart from these manifestations, the package insert also mentions that the patient may present more common symptoms such as: dry mouth , drowsiness , fluid retention , nausea , weakness , etc.
For more details, you can seek medical advice and read the Dorflex package insert .
Contraindication: who can’t take it?
The use of the drug Dorflex, according to the information on the package insert, is not recommended for patients who have any of the following conditions:
- Allergy to one (or more) components of the formula or similar medications;
- Glaucoma (increased intraocular pressure);
- Pyloric or duodenal obstruction (narrowing of the passage of contents in the stomach and intestine), motor problems in the esophagus (megaesophagus), stenosing peptic ulcer (abnormal narrowing);
- Prostatic hypertrophy (enlarged prostate);
- Bladder neck obstruction and myasthenia gravis (neuromuscular disease that causes weakness);
- Acute intermittent hepatic porphyria (metabolic disease that manifests itself through skin problems and / or neurological complications);
- Congenital glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency – the patient is at risk of hemolysis (destruction of red blood cells), which can lead to anemia;
- Impaired bone marrow function (such as after treatment that blocks cell division);
- Diseases of the hematopoietic system – responsible for the production of blood cells;
- Having developed bronchospasm (contraction of the bronchi leading to wheezing) or other anaphylactic reactions (urticaria, rhinitis, angioedema) with the use of other pain medications;
- Pregnancy (especially in the first 3 months) and lactation.
Therefore, it is essential that the doctor is aware of the patient’s entire medical history before prescribing the medicine. In addition, it is up to the patient not to practice self-medication in order to avoid complications.
Price: what is the average value of Dorflex?
The medication values may change according to the version and even by other factors – such as the region of purchase, availability, etc.
You can also buy through online platforms, such as Consulta Remédios . On this website, it is possible to compare the prices of the same medication in different establishments, making it possible to find the best option for you.
Check the average price * of Dorflex, in its variations:
- Dorflex ( single pack with 10 pills ) – the value is close to R $ 5;
- Dorflex drops ( 20mL bottle ) – the value is between R $ 10 and R $ 15;
- Dorflex Uno ( box of 10 pills ) – the value is between R $ 10 and R $ 20.
* Prices consulted in June 2020. Prices may change.
Is it bad to take Dorflex every day?
-Yeah . The prolonged use of Dorflex, as well as other medications with analgesic effect, is not recommended. When used indiscriminately and for long periods, these remedies can cause other problems (such as kidney failure or stroke) and even “disguise” more serious illnesses.
This is because constant headache or severe muscle pain can be a symptom of some illness – such as arthritis , osteoarthritis , fibromyalgia, etc. These, require specific treatment and medical monitoring.
Thus, it is necessary to be aware of the duration of discomfort and its frequency. In any situation, it is necessary to correctly follow the medical prescription regarding the use of the medication (especially with regard to time and dose).
If the symptoms do not go away, do not increase the doses or the time of use. Get a doctor!
What is the difference between Dorflex and Torsilax
Dorflex and Torsilax act as a muscle relaxant. However, they have a different composition and do not act in the same way in the body. In general, the main difference is the fact that the relaxing action of Torsilax affects the CNS (central nervous system) more, while Dorflex acts more peripherally.
Thus, the first acts in a generalized way in the organism, while the second has its local effect – that is, in the area where muscle contractions are occurring.
In addition, another important divergence of these drugs, is the fact that Torsilax also has antipyretic and anti-inflammatory action. Thus, it is also commonly indicated for the treatment of chronic pain (as in the case of rheumatism ).
In contrast, Dorflex is just a painkiller and muscle relaxant.
Finally, it is worth noting that these two remedies have a different drug interaction . Comparing them, for example, Torsilax can cause more serious reactions if mixed with the use of alcohol.
Therefore, do not substitute (or use simultaneously) the medication without consulting a doctor.
Nowadays, when everyone seems to have such a stressful and troubled routine, it is normal to experience muscle pain or even headache. However, despite being a very common factor, never choose self-medication to solve the problem.
Give preference to other cares – such as home compresses. When that is not enough, see a doctor so that he / she can prescribe the correct treatment.
Also keep following the Healthy Minute for more content like this!