In cases of anemia , a nutritional change is important so that the body can recover. Check out the foods that should be prioritized in the diet:
Iron helps prevent iron deficiency anemia , as this is a fundamental nutrient for the healthy production of red blood cells (red blood cells). Some options include:
- Red meat : mainly liver, from any animal, and other offal (small), such as kidney and heart;
- Poultry and fish meats;
- Foods of vegetable origin : dark green leaves such as watercress, cabbage, green scent, beet leaves;
- Legumes : beans, beans, chickpeas, peas, lentils;
- Whole or enriched grains : nuts and chestnuts, cane molasses, brown sugar, brown sugar.
There are also foods enriched with iron available on the market, such as wheat flour, corn flour and breakfast cereals, for example.
Foods with vitamin B9 (folic acid) and B12
The folic acid (vitamin B9) and vitamin B12 as well as iron, are also critical for anemia.
The vitamin B9 is present in:
- Leafy dark green vegetables;
Already the vitamin B12 can be acquired in diets rich in:
- Products derived from milk, such as yogurt and white cheese;
- Soy products;
- Meats, such as liver steak and chicken.
Calcium is also an essential nutrient for health, but it can interfere with the body’s absorption of iron.
However, studies on this effect are still not very consistent to state how much it interferes with the absorption of iron by the body and how much would be a risk.
To prevent anemia, calcium intake should not be excluded, but it is recommended that the intake of foods that are sources of iron at the same time as the consumption of foods rich in calcium should be done according to the recommendation prescribed by a doctor or nutritionist , as they are the most suitable professionals to evaluate each case, individually.
Some food options include:
Food source of vitamin C
The presence of vitamin C (ascorbic acid) in the meal improves the absorption of iron from plant products, such as broccoli, beets, cauliflower and others.
Some good sources of this nutrient are:
- Fruits : lemon, orange, kiwi, cashew, acerola, pineapple, strawberry, guava, papaya, and mango;
- Vegetables : broccoli, cabbage, cabbage and spinach.