Remedies for menopause and risks of hormone replacement

Medicines must always be prescribed by the doctor and treatment is constantly monitored, with each patient needing an individualized assessment to define the best treatment methods.

Some of the medications used for menopausal symptoms are:

Names of hormonal remedies for menopause

There are several hormonal remedy options to relieve symptoms after menopause. Estrogenic therapy (ET) may be indicated for women who have had a hysterectomy (removal of the uterus), including:

  • Conjugated estrogens : Menoporin and Premarin ;
  • Estradiol : Estrofem , Natifa , Primogyna .

The topical options may include: Estreva Gel , Oestrogel and Sandrena Gel .

In estroprogestagênica therapy (TEP), is prescribed the use of an estrogen associated with a progestogen to reduce the risk of cancer endometrial (uterine) for patients who did not removal surgery of the uterus.

Among the drugs based on progesterone are the medroxyprogesterone acetate , nomegestrol acetate , dydrogesterone or gestodene, for example.

What are the non-hormonal options for relieving menopausal symptoms?

Some antidepressants of the class selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), in low doses, can be used in the treatment of menopausal symptoms.

This type of treatment can be quite effective in women who cannot undergo hormone therapy for health reasons or those who suffer a lot from mood disorders.

Some of the antidepressants used are:

  • Venlafaxine hydrochloride ;
  • Fluoxetine hydrochloride ;
  • Paroxetine hydrochloride ;
  • Sertraline hydrochloride .

The Gabapentin is indicated for the treatment of seizures , but can be useful in controlling some symptoms caused by menopause, especially hot flashes.

For women who are not advised to consume estrogens, the following can be used:

  • Selective modulators of estrogen receptors : tamoxifen or raloxifene ;
  • Tibolone : a medication derived from noresteroids that can have positive effects on hot flushes, sexuality and the maintenance of bone mass.
  • Antidopaminergics : veralipride and sulpiride;
  • Hypnosedatives : phenobarbital ;
  • Vasoactive : benciclane , cinnarizine and propranolol.

The continuity or frequency must be determined by the doctor, but according to the Brazilian Society of Climacteric, the most used therapeutic regimens are:

  • Isolated cyclic estrogen (takes for a while and stops) or continuous (takes without interruption);
  • Isolated cyclic or continuous progestogen;
  • Cyclic estrogen and cyclic progestogen;
  • Continuous estrogen and cyclic progestogen;
  • Continuous estrogen and cyclic progestogen quarterly or quarterly;
  • Continuous combined estrogen and progestogen;
  • Continuous or cyclic estrogen and androgen;
  • Continuous estrogen and androgen and cyclic progestogens;
  • Continuous Tibolone.

Attention!

NEVER self-medicate or stop using a medication without first consulting a doctor. Only he will be able to tell which medication, dosage and duration of treatment is the most suitable for his specific case. The information contained in this website is only intended to inform, not in any way intended to replace the guidance of a specialist or serve as a recommendation for any type of treatment. Always follow the instructions on the package insert and, if symptoms persist, seek medical or pharmaceutical advice.

Remedy for early menopause

Early menopause is defined as when menstruation ends before age 40. According to the Brazilian Society of Endocrinology and Metabology, the condition affects about 1% of women.

The patient should be evaluated by professionals, but in general there is a recommendation to start using hormone replacement medication, if there are no impediments. In addition to hormonal remedies, there are also options that alleviate symptoms.

In these cases, food, exercise, use of lubricants, natural and alternative therapies are combined.

The risks of hormone replacement

For some women, hormone replacement can have numerous benefits in relieving symptoms. Especially hot flushes, excessive sweating, pain in general and mood swings are more controlled and mild with hormone replacement.

However, it is necessary that the therapeutic adoption is properly discussed with the doctor and the risks are always evaluated.

A survey carried out by the Women’s Health Initiative (WHI) in 2004, pointed out that the estrogen used in hormone replacement can cause 29% more chances of heart disease , 41% more chances of stroke and 30% more risk of breast cancer .

Other studies indicate that hormone replacement may also favor an increase in the risk of endometrial cancer, uterine bleeding, gastrointestinal symptoms and an increase in the risk of venous thromboembolism and pulmonary embolism .

Among the side effects of hormone replacement, they can mainly involve:

  • Uterine bleeding;
  • Breast sensitivity;
  • Nausea;
  • Abdominal swelling;
  • Liquid retention;
  • Blurry vision;
  • Headaches;
  • Dizziness;
  • Mood swings.
Loading...