Treatment for seborrheic dermatitis
Seborrheic dermatitis is a chronic disease and there is usually no way to cure it completely.
There are several treatments and home remedies that can reduce the symptoms.
These drugs reduce the amount of Malassezia yeast in affected areas of the body.
The antifungals used to treat seborrheic dermatitis include:
Ketoconazole is marketed in the form of:
- Shampoo (Nizoral),
Some studies show that a product with a concentration of 2% is more effective.
In a small percentage of cases the side effects of ketoconazole occur, ie:
- Burning sensation on the skin .
Ciclopirox (Lopox ®) is found in prescription shampoos and skin products.
Terbinafine (Lamisil ®) is sometimes prescribed in tablet form for the treatment of severe episodes, but studies on the efficacy of this product are limited.
The side effects of terbinafine are severe:
- Allergic reactions,
- Problems in the liver.
These medicines improve the symptoms by reducing:
- Inflammation ,
It is generally recommended to use only in the short term because taking cortisoneover the long term can cause significant side effects on large areas of the body.
Pregnant women should talk to their doctor first, because these medicines can harm the baby.
Among the side effects of cortisone are:
Examples of cortisone-based medications:
- Desonide (Adinos) is available as a prescription gel or ointment for topical applications.
- The betamethasone is available by prescription in the form of cream or lotion to the scalp and other body parts.
This active principle is also found in the Quadriderm, but together with an antibiotic (Gentamicin).
These prescription creams are medicines that reduce the activity of the immune system.
Research and clinical trials have shown that the efficacy of these drugs is similar to that of antifungal creams and corticosteroids.
The FDA also advises against long-term use of these drugs because it may increase the risk of melanoma .
Calcineurin inhibitors include:
- Tacrolimo (Protopic)
- Pimecrolimo (Elidel)
Substances useful in shampoo
Some active principles in shampoo can be:
1. Selenium Sulfide is available on prescription products.
Some people who use selenium sulfide have irritation on the scalp and hair discoloration as a side effect.
2. Zinc pyrithione is available in over-the-counter products. May cause irritation.
3. Sulfur helps prevent accumulation of sebum and itching.
4. Salicylic acid is a mild compound that serves to remove scales and dandruff from the scalp.
5. Hume stone (or potassium alum) has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and astringent properties. Limits the spread of Malassezia yeast.
It is important to use treatments for seborrheic dermatitis exactly as prescribed by your doctor.
If one type of shampoo works for a time and then loses its effectiveness, try switching between two different products.
Wait for the recommended time to see the effects of the shampoo; therefore, the ingredients have time to act.
Natural and home remedies for seborrheic dermatitis
The following remedies and tips below can help you control and manage seborrheic dermatitis.
- Wash your hair with a medicinal anti-dandruff shampoo as recommended by your doctor. If you do not get the results you want, try a shampoo with a different active ingredient.
- Use an over the counter antifungal cream .
- Apply a lotion or cream against the itching in the affected area.
- Avoid aggressive detergents and soaps . It is necessary to thoroughly rinse the soap from the skin and the scalp.
- The argan oil and almond can be useful; should be applied to the area affected by dermatitis one hour before washing the hair with shampoo.
- Among the home remedies, the sun can help in case of seborrheic dermatitis and therefore also UV lamps, however there are many contraindications to recommend this therapy.
What products to use for seborrheic dermatitis?
Avoid natural oils
In the case of dandruff and eczema of the scalp, it is necessary to know that, in fact, many natural oils feed the Malassezia fungus that causes the disease.
The oleic acid is present in four natural oils that should be avoided:
1. Coconut oil,
2. Butter Shea ,
3. Oil ,
4. Castor oil.
Among the herbal products recommended because they invigorate the skin and have an antibacterial action, there are:
- Sweet almond oil;
- Tea Tree Oil,
- Aloe vera , has a healing effect on skin lesions ,
- Ginkgo biloba stimulates the blood circulation in the capillaries.
- Burdock for internal use, has a purifying effect and promotes the activity of the liver and pancreas.
Which shampoo to use for seborrheic dermatitis?
The first treatment for dandruff is a non-prescription anti-dandruff shampoo. They are very effective, they stop flaking and itching quickly.
Anti-dandruff shampoo contains antifungal agents, such as zinc pyrithione and ketoconazole, which reduce fungus on the skin.
How often do I need to wash my hair?
Many anti-dandruff shampoos are useful if the person rinses their hair between 2 and 3 times a week to help with antifungal activity.
When the scaling and itching pass, it is possible to switch the anti-dandruff shampoo to the normal shampoo.
Diet and diet for seborrheic dermatitis
Obesity is one of the risk factors for the development of seborrheic dermatitis; therefore, it is recommended to avoid fatty and sweet foods that promote weight gain.
According to the testimonies of many patients, the symptoms of seborrheic dermatitis may disappear with the natural diets , for example:
- Blood type diet ,
- Vegan diet with more than half of raw foods,
- Dieta Paleo.
These diets are very different from each other but have some elements in commonincluding:
- Avoid processed and preserved foods;
- Drink a little water (no more than half a liter per day); otherwise swelling and sweating occur ;
- Correct food combinations; it is important to eat few foods per meal, otherwise there is a risk of slowing down digestion;
- Avoid candy and chewing gum;
- Do not take medicines or supplements because the chemicals are not used by the body and can cause side effects;
- Avoid cereals because they raise blood glucose , cause inflammation and hardening of the arteries ;
- The dairy products should be excluded from the diet, because they are foods that can cause intestinal inflammation and malabsorption.
According to the blood type diet , some foods can cause a reaction of the immune system that causes symptoms and diseases.
“Harmful” foods depend on the blood type of the individual; for example, a food:
- May cause dermatitis in a person in group 0 ,
- It could be harmless to a person of group A .
It is a protein-rich diet because the structure and functioning of the body are based on proteins.
Foods that can improve the disease according to the vegan-crudivorous diet are:
5. Nuts (not exaggerated) and oil seeds.
6. Cereals sprouted in very small quantities.
The Paleo diet is based on the foods that primitive men ate:
In particular, we must avoid:
- Processed foods,
- Dairy products,
- Trans and saturated fat, etc.
Biotin (vitamin H) is a very useful substance that is found in the following foods:
- Dairy products are not recommended because of the lactose and casein content that can cause various health problems,
- Egg yolk,
How long does it take to cure seborrheic dermatitis? The prognosis
Seborrheic dermatitis is a chronic disease that can be controlled with proper treatment.
Often there are inactive periods, followed by a worsening.
Hair lost with seborrheic dermatitis grows back in the inactive phase.
Normally, the crib buffer passes without medication in a few months.
Meanwhile, we recommend :.
- Wash your baby’s hair every other day with a soft baby shampoo.
- After washing, soften the scales with a cotton swab soaked with a few drops of almond oil on the child’s scalp. Leave the oil on the skin for a few minutes.
- When the crusts are soft to the touch, it is possible to pass a comb with fine and rounded teeth to eliminate the scales.