Taking care of food is a basic factor for the body to be able to maintain its functions properly. It is through it that nutrients, such as vitamins , are ingested .
However, sometimes it is necessary to supplement some component that is absent or insufficient.
In this sense, supplements and vitamin compounds are good options, provided they are recommended by specialists. Check out more about vitamin E and when it should be supplemented!
What is vitamin E and what is its function in the body?
Vitamin E is considered a fat-soluble vitamin, that is, soluble in fat, but not in water. Its main function is to act as an antioxidant. Therefore, it helps to protect cells from some damage caused by substances known as free radicals. And these can be harmful to tissues and organs.
Because it has antioxidant properties, vitamin E is also important to delay the premature aging of the body and prevent various diseases, which are more common in old age, such as some types of cancer , Alzheimer’s and vision problems.
In addition, the body also needs vitamin E to keep the immune system stronger, so that it can fight some diseases caused by viruses and bacteria, such as colds and flu, for example.
It is worth mentioning that it can be beneficial for pregnant women, as it reduces the risks of pre-eclampsia , which is a complication of pregnancy that occurs due to the high pressure of the future mother.
It also plays an important role in the formation of red blood cells.
This important nutrient can be found in some foods, but it is also possible to acquire it in the form of capsules.
Below are some other benefits of vitamin E for the body.
- Reduces symptoms of dementia : Some studies show that vitamin E supplements, especially when combined with vitamin C, help to reduce mild symptoms of Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia. It is assumed that there may be a slowdown in the cognitive decline caused by the disease;
- It decreases the chances of Parkinson’s: some research has shown that diets that contained a moderate amount of vitamin E reduced the risk of developing Parkinson’s disease. It is worth mentioning that this health problem is a progressive neurological disease that causes loss of muscle control.
- Increases male fertility : taking vitamin E contributes to sperm quality, which increases sperm motility in men. This makes them more fertile.
- Improves endurance: good news for those who want to increase muscle mass. Vitamin E increases endurance and muscle strength during workouts. And it contributes to muscle recovery after physical activity.
- Decreases the mortality of those who have Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) : a study that followed people with the disease showed that those who took vitamin E supplements regularly had a lower risk of dying from ALS.
- It is good for your eyesight: vitamin E, in combination with vitamin C, beta-carotene and zinc, offers protection against the development of advanced age-related macular degeneration (AMD). This condition can cause blindness in older people.
What are vitamin E capsules for?
Vitamin E capsules are options used to supplement the adequate amount of the nutrient, especially when it is not possible to ingest it through food or there is some form of restriction of the nutrient.
The indication for adults is to consume about 15mg of vitamin E per day, including for pregnant women. Breastfeeding mothers need 19mg of the vitamin a day.
For the skin
If you are looking to keep your skin healthier and younger, increasing the amount of vitamin E can be helpful in improving your skin’s appearance.
It can be beneficial in reducing ultraviolet damage to the skin caused by sun exposure. In this way, it reduces the risk of sunspots, in addition to age (age) and wrinkles, as it is an antioxidant.
It can still be effective to treat scars, soothe irritated skin and increase hydration.
In addition, vitamin E levels also decrease with age and replenishing this nutrient is beneficial for maintaining a younger looking skin.
Vitamin E helps to improve the health of the scalp and hair. Supplementation helps hair growth in people who suffer from hair loss. That’s because vitamin E reduces oxidative stress on the scalp and increases blood flow, which improves hair health and helps with growth.
Some research shows that individuals with alopecia , that is, who have hair loss, had low levels of vitamin E. Therefore, supplementation of this vitamin can be beneficial in this situation.
How to take vitamin E in capsules?
Most of the time, the recommendation is to take a 180mg capsule (400 IU) per day. But the dose and the time indicated for the intake of this supplement must be guided by a health professional.
There is no set time, but it is best to take the vitamin E capsule before, during or shortly after any of the main meals of the day, ie breakfast, lunch or dinner. This helps the vitamin to be better absorbed by the body.
The recommendation is to consume with a little liquid and without chewing it.
What is the best brand of vitamin E?
There are several brands of vitamin E available on the market. There are options with more than 120 capsules, produced to last several months, as well as different price brands.
They can be easily found in pharmacies and health food stores. In addition, the product can be searched and purchased by Consulta Remédios , which shows the best cost-benefit ratio!
For those who have doubts about which one to choose, it is interesting to seek help from a health specialist. Assess the origin of the raw material and the cost-benefit when choosing vitamin E. Some capsules are created from natural sources, while others contain synthetic elements in their composition.
Among the options are:
- Emama 400mg, box with 30 soft gelatin capsules ;
- Vitamin E 400mg, box with 30 capsules ;
- Vitamin E – Sandoz 400mg, box with 30 gelatin capsules ;
- Vita E Aché 400mg, box with 30 soft gelatin capsules ;
- Teutovit E 400mg, box with 30 soft gelatin capsules ;
- Bio 5 Box with 30 sachets with 4g of powder for solution for oral use .
Do you have contraindications?
Taking vitamin E supplements can cause some kind of interaction with cholesterol-lowering drugs and also those used to prevent blood clotting. Although more rare, it can reduce the effectiveness of some cancer treatments such as chemotherapy and radiation therapy.
So it is very important to see a doctor if you have any chronic health conditions or if you use any continuous medication.
But, to be toxic to the body, it would be necessary to ingest more than 400mg of vitamin E per day.
Vitamin E is essential for health, as low rates can affect the functioning of the body as a whole. Through healthy eating, in general, it is possible to meet needs. But, in some cases, it is necessary to make use of supplements.
Together with experts, Hickey solution helps bring information to a more balanced life!