Throat burn is a common symptom that can have several causes, the most common being:
Often very hot and spicy foods can cause a burning sensation in the mouth and throat.
Burning sore throat results from inflammation:
May cause difficulty in swallowing.
The throat that burns and scratches may be accompanied by:
1. Cough , especially in case of gastroesophageal reflux,
2. hoarseness or dysphonia , if the cause is laryngitis,
3. Fatigue , for example, in the case of respiratory infections, such as tonsillitis ,
4. Fever ,
5. Nodes of swollen neck , in case of infection of the upper respiratory tract (pharynx, tonsils , etc.)
Causes of Throat Burning
Sometimes, burning in the throat and irritation may persist for days or weeks and may occur at certain times of the year.
When the throat is irritated due to an allergic reaction , to particles in the air, such as pollen, the treatment is more complicated.
Why does allergy cause sore throat?
Post-nasal drip is the main cause of allergy-induced sore throat.
It is the consequence of exposure to an allergen and occurs when the inflammatory fluid formed in the sinuses falls into the throat.
The symptoms of an allergy can be:
- The burning and irritation of the throat and nose,
- The pressure on the chest.
An allergic reaction to air pollutants, food and other allergens can cause:
When you sing or speak loudly over a long period of time, the burning sensation in your throat may occur.
This is the result of excessive strain on the vocal cords.
Infection is a health problem caused by pathogenic or harmful microorganisms (bacteria, fungi, etc.) or viruses that penetrate and multiply in the body.
If the number of microorganisms is low, the immune system overcomes the invaders and the person does not have symptoms, but if the number is high, an inflammationoccurs .
The inflammation is a defense mechanism of an organism against chemicals harmful microorganisms, trauma and so forth, is used to remove the cause and tissue repair.
It is characterized by:
- Dilation of blood vessels to bring more blood to the affected area,
- Accumulation of inflammatory fluid,
- Presence of so many white blood cells .
These tissue changes cause the following symptoms:
If inflammation is important it can also cause swelling.
A sore throat and cough can be caused by a viral infection in the presence of the following:
A throat bacterial infection causes:
- Sore throat,
- High fever ,
- Swollen lymph nodes in the neck ,
- A white coating or plaques on the tonsils .
Among the less common causes is diphtheria (an infectious disease due to “Corynebacterium diphtheriae”) that affects the nose and throat.
Streptococcal pharyngitis: this is a bacterial infection. The cause is Streptococcus pyogenes .
In addition to sore throat, the other symptoms of this disease are:
Other common causes are:
- Very hot and spicy foods,
- Indigestion ,
- Stress, anxiety, etc., because these disorders can cause physical symptoms, including burning.
- The smoke is another cause burning in the mouth and throat.
- Vomiting – Generally, the burning sensation in the throat occurs after vomiting because of the stomach acids that go up along the esophagus to the mouth.
Burning throat and dry cough
The main causes:
Allergies: Among the most common allergens are:
- Animal hair
- Dust mites.
The consequence is an irritation of the throat due to cough.
This disorder is caused by malfunctioning of the valve between the stomach and the esophagus: the lower gastroesophageal sphincter.
Under normal conditions, this structure:
- It allows food to pass from the esophagus to the stomach,
- Blocks the rise of the contents of the stomach upwards.
If the sphincter fails to function properly, food and acidic fluid in the stomach enter the esophagus into the throat, where it damages the mucosa and can cause ulcers.
Viral Infections: The most common cause of an irritated throat and a dry cough is an infectious and contagious viral disease of the upper respiratory tract.
There may be an infection in the sinuses (or sinusitis ) that can cause sore throat.
Other viral infections that cause these symptoms are:
- Varicella (chicken pox)
- Measles ,
- Infectious mononucleosis .
Bacterial infections : Some bacterial infections can cause burning in the throat, for example:
- Pertussis can cause persistent coughing and difficulty breathing,
- Brucellosis can also cause pneumonia ,
- Streptococcal infection, including bacterial pharyngitis.
Air pollution: The presence of harmful gases and chemicals in the atmosphere causes congestion or irritation in the throat. Irritants include exposure:
- To tobacco smoke or electronic cigarette,
- Exhaust gases,
- Chemicals (eg household detergents)
Dry air : Artificial heating of buildings during winter tends to reduce humidity in the air.
Dry air irritates the mucous membranes of the airways and can cause sore throat and cough.
- Climate change
- Throat surgery etc.
Throat burning in the morning
Those who breathe with their mouth or snore at night may have a burning throat when they wake up, for example, in case of:
The allergic rhinitis can cause the same symptoms, along with a stuffy nose.
What to do? Throat Burning Treatment
When a sore throat occurs, we can choose between:
- Non-prescription medicines,
- Home Remedies.
Allergy, flu, and cold symptoms can be treated with medications such as:
To combat bacterial infection that causes sore throats, medicines that can be taken are antibiotics like amoxicillin ( Amoxil ).
Medications for pain include non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as:
- Cetoprofen ,
In more severe cases, your doctor may prescribe cortisone , such as betamethasone (Betnelan ®).
We recommend that you consult a doctor before taking any medicine.
Natural and home remedies for throat burning
The garlic has many antifungal and antiviral properties.
It is recommended to eat some teeth for sore throat caused by a viral infection.
One can eat garlic alone or in the salad.
This is one of the fastest and most effective home remedies.
It is very important to brush your teeth at least twice a day because bacteria in the mouth can aggravate throat infections.
Brush the white tongue regularly.
To relieve the burning of the throat drink a hot drink, such as a tea or an infusion of herbs. Herbal teas like mint tea and chamomile relieve the inflammation of the throat.
An effective beverage is prepared with the mixture of:
- One teaspoon of honey, honey has antibacterial properties
- One teaspoon of apple cider vinegar has antibacterial properties
- Lemon juice is considered a natural disinfectant;
- A pinch of saffron, has anti-inflammatory properties;
- A glass of warm water.
If possible, take this drink twice a day.
Heartburn caused by acid reflux can be minimized by avoiding fats and spicy foods.
A well-balanced diet, particularly rich in zinc and vitamin C, strengthens the immune system.
Foods rich in vitamin C are:
- Oranges and citrus fruits
Foods rich in zinc are:
- Nuts in shell,
Red elm or Ulmus-rubra
Red elm is considered one of the best herbal remedies for sore throat.
Among the home remedies for sore throat:
- Take a glass of warm water,
- Add one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar,
- Make mouthwash and gargle and spit.
Apple cider vinegar is acidic enough to kill bacteria.
Salt water . Gargling with salt water helps clear the throat.
- Add 1-2 pinches of salt in a glass of warm water,
- Gargle 3-4 times a day for rapid relief.
Quitting smoking is one of the safest ways to avoid throat irritation.
Stress can have a negative effect on digestion and overall health.