Pain in the shoulder blade is a fairly frequent disorder that can be linked to:
- Shoulder Joint,
- Internal organs (referred pain).
The shoulder blade is a triangular bone that connects the humerus (arm bone):
- To the clavicle
- To the chest
- 1 Causes of pain in the right shoulder blade caused by non-serious diseases
- 2 Main causes of pain in the right shoulder blade for serious diseases
- 3 Pain in the left shoulder blade
- 4 Symptoms that occur with pain in the shoulder blade
- 5 Causes of pain in the shoulder blade during deep breaths
- 6 What to do? Treatment for pain in the shoulder blade
- 7 Natural Remedies to Treat Shoulder Shoulder Pain
- 8 Exercises for pain of the scapula
Causes of pain in the right shoulder blade caused by non-serious diseases
Many causes of pain in the right shoulder blade are not related to serious diseases.
It is not recommended to ignore the pain; it is always a good idea to tell the doctor about any pain that does not have a clear and precise reason.
- People who are many hours in front of a computer may feel pain in the right shoulder blade.
- Keeping a child with the right arms can be a cause of pain in the right shoulder blade.
- Carrying a heavy purse , books or bags daily can cause pain in the right shoulder blade.
- Incorrect posture . Incorrect posture can cause pain throughout the body. Staying for long periods in a chair supporting the spine with an incorrect posture can cause muscle tension.
Excessive work on these muscles causes pain near the right or left shoulder blade.
- Often athletes feel pain in the right shoulder.
A muscle strain during training causes these disorders.
Listed below are some of the more serious cases that cause pain in the right shoulder blade.
- Gallbladder problems
Gallstones and gallbladder diseases can cause pain in the right shoulder blade.
Gallstones impede the flow of bile and cause pain in the upper abdomen.
The stomach pain caused by gallstones can last from 30 minutes to several hours.
Usually these symptoms occur after a heavy meal high in fats.
disease Liver disease ( cancer and abscess ) can cause pain in the right shoulder blade.
Liver cancer is responsible for shoulder pain when it spreads to other parts of the body.
The liver abscess is a bacterial infection that can cause pain in the shoulder region (Sukhjeet Singh – 2013).
The itching is one of the symptoms of liver disorders.
- Rotator Cuff Injury
When the rotator cuff muscles ( supraspinal , subscapular, small round, infra-spinal) become injured, they cause pain. These four muscles and their tendons combine to stabilize the head of the humerus in the glena that serves to make a movement.
The arthritis can cause a throbbing pain around the shoulder region.
It also restricts arm movement.
The pain caused by arthritis can be reduced with medication, rest and physical therapy.
Pain in the left shoulder blade
Causes and risk factors
During an intense physical exercise (bodybuilding), a muscle injury can occur .
Bursae are “sacks” filled with fluid. They are located between bones, tendons and muscles and work together with many structures.
During the movement, the bursas act as shock absorbers: the goal is to reduce friction.
The inflammation of the bursa ( bursitis ) can cause pain.
In this condition, the pain radiates from the shoulder to the arm to the hand.
The patient feels a fixed pain at the base of the cervical spine or between the shoulder blades, especially when turning the neck, during cervical extension and lateral inclination.
Flu and cold
One of the first symptoms of flu is widespread malaise in the body.
The colds , fever and general malaise are the main symptoms of the flu.
The shoulder muscles can become rigid.
Exposure to cold or air conditioning can cause a contracture in the trapezius or intercostal muscles to the armpit and the front of the chest or sinus.
points There are muscle points called triggers, they can be felt in the muscle, they form small “nodules”.
When they are active, they can cause muscle pain that can spread to other parts of the body.
These points are particularly pressure sensitive.
The shoulder blade fracture is one of the causes of shoulder pain of the bony type. An accident can cause a “crack” in the bone.
Impact syndrome (conflict)
The impingement occurs when the humeral head is very close to the acromion (part of the shoulder blade). This disease causes inflammation of the tendons and the synovial sac within the joint.
Compression may cause a laceration of the supraspinatus muscle tendon.
The consequence is pain around the acromion (Ron Diercks et al. – 2014)
- The inflamed gallbladder and gallstones cause pain around the shoulder blade of the right shoulder. Rarely causes pain on the left side.
- The inflamed pancreas ( pancreatitis ) causes pain in the shoulder blade or below. Even pain derived from the pleura (Kamyar et al. – 2008) or pericardium can be felt on the left.
- The peptic ulcers or ulcers in the intestine cause rigidity of the shoulder blades.
- Pain perceived during a heart attack (O’Keefe-McCarthy – 2008) can radiate through the nerves in the back of the chest.
- Diseases such as pulmonary embolism , pneumonia, and aortic dissection (Smith et al. 2011) may be the causes of pain in the left shoulder.
- The Pancoast tumor is located in front of a lung . One of the main symptoms of this cancer is the acute pain that radiates to the clavicle and reaches the elbow.
In men a symptom of heart attack is sudden shoulder pain, in women an uncommon symptom is pain between the shoulder blades.
A heart attack is characterized by other symptoms.
If a person shows many symptoms (besides pain below the left shoulder), it is necessary to call an ambulance as soon as possible.
Other symptoms of myocardial infarction are (Joy Li Juan Quah et al. – 2014):
The most important symptoms of shoulder disorders are pain and burning sensation . The pain causes immobility of the upper limb.
Other symptoms of shoulder problems are as follows:
- Skin color changes
Because of the pain in the upper back, the person may have difficulty making certain movements, such as lifting their arms.
The individual suffers limitations of shoulder movement and can not carry heavy objects.
You feel discomfort above all else as you pick up an object from the floor or lie in bed in your sleep.
It is necessary to consult a doctor if the pain between the shoulder blades persists for 3-4 days.
Some people feel pain in the shoulder blades during breathing.
Patients only take short breaths to avoid pain during a deep breath.
Sneezing, sneezing, coughing, or yawning cause scapular pain.
List of causes
Lung Problems Lung
diseases can cause pain in the shoulder blade.
People diagnosed with lung collapse feel pain during deep breathing.
Pain in the shoulder occurs along with cervical spine problems.
Any intervertebral disc that moves ( hernia ) and crushes a nerve causes pressure on the nerve root. Crushed nerves can cause pain in the shoulder blade.
Pain is aggravated by breathing.
Gallbladder problems such as gallstones or cholecystitis (inflammation of the gallbladder) cause pain that extends to the right shoulder area.
Some of the most common symptoms that occur in the case of gallbladder problems are nausea and abdominal pain after a meal (Diehl – 1992).
Injury to the rib
When these bones are subjected to excessive pressure during an accident during contact sports or excessive coughing , a fracture can occur and can cause pain in the shoulder blade that worsens during deep breaths.
The following list relieves pain in the cheekbone:
- Therapeutic massage
- Nutrient-rich diet
- Regular exercise
- Apply natural ointments
- Hot compresses
Massage with oil is indicated to relieve pain.
If the pain does not subside, you should see a doctor or physical therapist.
A good method to dissolve the contractures at home is the use of the foam roller.
This is a cylinder that can be used to create pressure in the area to be treated.
How do you use it?
- Place the foam roll on a floor mat for exercise,
- Lie on your back with the foam roller perpendicular to the spine,
- Bend your knees and lift the buttocks of the rug,
- The hands may be crossed over the chest or behind the head,
- Slide the roller back and forth for one minute.
The foam roller is found in sports stores.
In case of severe and constant pain you should consult a doctor immediately.
If the pain is not so severe, the following remedies may be helpful.
- You have to suspend all the daily tasks that burden the shoulders. The joint needs rest.
- The ice or shoulder massage is especially useful for treating a muscle or soft tissue problem.
- A warm compress is a great remedy to relieve pain, but not in the first 48 hours after the onset. Applying heat improves blood circulation in the affected muscles. This treatment reduces recovery time after injury.
- When these medicines do not work, you should see a doctor.
Doctors prescribe non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) to relieve pain or prescribe diagnostic tests.
- An acupuncture session around the shoulders can be helpful.
Acupuncture can reduce pain, increase range of motion and stabilize the joint.
- Many exercises help reduce muscle soreness in the shoulder. The most effective exercises are those for strengthening. Yoga is a great exercise to relax your muscles.
Exercises for pain of the scapula
The pain in the scapula can originate of the muscles of the neck or the back.
For pain originating from the neck muscles, a mckenzie exercise can be performed in retraction and extension.
- Initial position: sitting with back straight.
- Move your chin back without bending your head down.
- From this position, tilt your head back, as if looking up.
- Return to the starting position.
- Repeat 10 times
To adjust the joints between the dorsal vertebrae and the back muscles, we recommend a simple extension exercise for the back in a sitting position.
- Beginning position: sitting with back straight and hands behind head
- Put your back on the back of the chair
- Extend (arch) the dorsal spine as much as possible by supporting your back on the back.
- Return to the starting position.