Many people suffer from hair loss , which causes a lot of discomfort, especially for women. However, this problem can have different causes and medical assistance is needed for a correct diagnosis.
In some cases, it may be female pattern baldness. A serious condition that needs treatment for its effects to be controlled.
In this case, it is not a common hair loss, but a disease. Better understand what characterizes this condition, what are its causes and possible treatments:
- 1 What is female pattern baldness?
- 2 What are the causes?
- 3 Is age related to female pattern baldness?
- 4 Hair loss in front of the head is female pattern baldness?
- 5 Treatment: what helps to stop hair loss?
- 6 What is the best remedy for female pattern baldness?
- 7 Is there home medicine?
- 8 How to disguise hair loss?
What is female pattern baldness?
The alopecia androgenetic , popularly known as baldness is a condition that can affect both men and women. This problem is characterized by a large loss in the number of wires.
The term “andro” refers to the male hormone, however, in most cases, hormone levels remain normal in the blood test. So the cause is usually linked to genetic issues – or to other hormonal changes (such as increased levels of estrogen in menopause ).
In general, when it comes to women, baldness affects around 5% of this population.
In this case, the signs are usually thinning of the hair and excessive hair loss, especially in the central region of the head – leaving areas of the scalp visible.
Often, the problem manifests itself during adolescence, due to the great hormonal leap. From that moment on, in each new hair cycle, the strands tend to become progressively thinner and more fragile.
So, unlike what some people think, not every hair loss is classified as baldness. Considering that this problem has its origin mainly related to genetics and has no cure , although it can be treated and controlled.
That is, it is different from a hair loss caused by lack of nutrients, high levels of stress , use of medications or other factors.
What are the causes?
The main cause of female pattern baldness is related to hereditary, that is, genetic factors. However, there are cases in which hormonal factors contribute to the appearance of this problem.
In this case, unlike male pattern baldness, it is not a problem involving testosterone. But the natural hormonal changes in the female organism, such as the increase in estrogen in menopause. Or, the hormonal drop after pregnancy and the common changes of puberty.
Understand better why the problem occurs in each case – genetic issues or hormonal problems:
As mentioned, the genetic factor is the main cause of female pattern baldness. It is a polymorphic heritage – that is, it has different origins. Therefore, it is difficult to know the exact origin of this genetic issue.
In general, the first symptoms can manifest soon after puberty, at which time the production of sex hormones increases.
In addition, it can intensify from other hormonal changes, such as menopause.
Hormonal problems are responsible for different diseases and may even be related to female pattern baldness. In this case, in general there is also the influence of the genetic factor – as mentioned in the previous topic.
Thus, especially high levels of the hormone dihydrotestosterone (or androstanolone) can favor female alopecia. Considering that it produces a lot of oil and destroys hair follicles.
However, in addition, other conditions related to hormonal changes may be related to this problem:
- Postpartum period (puerperium);
- Polycystic ovary syndrome – affects women of reproductive age and leads to higher than normal testosterone production;
Age is not a determining factor for female pattern baldness. Unlike other issues that may worsen with advancing age, this problem can begin early in youth. Or, just in adulthood and old age.
As mentioned, some factors can contribute to this condition manifesting itself earlier. For example, issues such as polycystic ovary syndrome or the puerperium – since pregnancy can occur at any point in a woman’s fertile life.
Thus, it is important to pay attention to the symptoms : thinning of the wires and excessive fall, especially in the central region of the head.
Hair loss in front of the head is female pattern baldness?
In general, when it comes to female baldness, it is normal for hair loss to be more pronounced in the central region of the head and not in the front .
When there is an excess of hair loss on the front, the problem may be related to other causes that commonly lead to hair loss, such as:
- Hormonal changes;
- High levels of stress and / or anxiety;
- Lack of vitamins – usually associated with poor diet;
- Chemical procedures (tincture, discoloration, etc.);
- Excessive use of hairdryer, flat iron or babyliss ;
- Some diseases – such as anemia, for example.
Thus, in order to obtain a correct diagnosis and to know if your problem is (or not) related to baldness, it is necessary to seek a (a) dermatologist.
Thus, based on clinical analysis and exams, he / she will be able to indicate the correct treatment.
Treatment: what helps to stop hair loss?
There is no single treatment that can resolve hair loss. In particular, due to the fact that this problem has different causes and each organism reacts in a way to a certain treatment. So, it can be indicated from the use of medications (to stimulate growth) to procedures such as microneedling.
It is worth mentioning that alopecia is a problem that has no cure . It can be controlled from the aforementioned care and procedures, improving aesthetic and well-being issues.
That is, it is a condition different from ordinary hair loss – which can be cured by the correct treatment.
Initially, it is common for the dermatologist to start treatment with less invasive care, such as:
- Use of vitamin supplements;
- Medications that stimulate growth (such as Pantogar );
- Shampoos suitable for hair loss;
- Topical lotions for scalp strengthening;
- Dietary changes (since good nutrition can help in some cases).
However, when these do not have a sufficiently satisfactory effect, some procedures performed by the dermatologist can be indicated:
- Micro needling – consists of using a dermaroller on the scalp, which literally makes microcuts to stimulate blood circulation in the region;
- Photostimulation – light stimuli (LED, laser, etc.) are used to stimulate blood circulation in the scalp;
- Drug delivery – procedure performed after microneedling. Considering that the region is more “open”, it is easier to administer topical medications, since they penetrate the scalp better;
- Hair transplant – in this procedure, hair follicles are removed from a donor region (with a greater amount of hair). Then, they are transferred to the area that lacks wires.
What is the best remedy for female pattern baldness?
The remedies used in cases of baldness are not intended to eliminate the problem, but rather to control and delay its effects as much as possible. Thus, medications (oral or topical use) that stimulate hair growth and strengthening are usually prescribed.
According to the Brazilian Society of Dermatology, in cases of female alopecia, the use of contraceptive medication or medicines with the following substances may be prescribed:
- Alfaestradiol ;
- Cyproterona ;
- Finasteride and Minoxidil 5% – although the package insert indicates treatment with these medications only for men, some professionals make the indication (in lower doses) for severe cases of alopecia in women, based on studies and tests.
Among the cares, the application of anti-fall lotions can also be recommended – such as the Pielus Anti- Fall Hair Lotion or the Pantogar Top Anti-Fall Lotion . These options can help to stimulate blood circulation in the scalp and, consequently, hair growth.
Bearing in mind that, in some cases of female pattern baldness, these medications may not have satisfactory results. Then, the dermatologist can recommend other procedures and / or care that are more likely to succeed according to each case.
Like, for example, hair transplantation – which is usually more suitable for men than for women. This considering that in women the areas affected by baldness may be larger and more diffuse (not just in one region).
Is there home medicine?
There is no home remedy that can eliminate baldness. However, there are some precautions that can be done at home, such as hair massages to stimulate blood circulation or the use of dermatologically tested anti-hair loss shampoos:
- Energizing Vichy Dercos Shampoo ;
- La Roche-Posay Kerium Antiqued Shampoo ;
- Dermage Revitrat OP Shampoo ;
- Shampoo Pielus Antiqueda.
Making use of anti-fall ampoules (such as Recrexin Capillary Treatment Ampoule HFSC ) or hair tonics can also help, considering that they are applied directly to the hair root and stimulate growth.
But, if you want to opt for more natural care, you can bet on homemade recipes that contain ingredients such as:
- Rosemary or mint essential oil;
- Green tea;
Remembering that all of these are just complementary care. This is not a substitute for follow-up with a dermatologist and medication care.
In addition, it is worth noting that taking care of health as a whole can also have positive effects in some cases. For example, taking care of food and treating concomitant problems (such as seborrheic dermatitis ) can help the success of therapy.
How to disguise hair loss?
Many women have a weakened self-esteem due to hair loss, which is perfectly normal. Therefore, in addition to performing the necessary treatments for the problem, they seek ways to disguise it on a daily basis.
In this way, it is possible that they feel good about themselves and have a better quality of life.
In this sense, some ways to disguise hair loss are:
- Dark tones of hair make the fall more evident – so, opting for lighter strands can help to disguise the problem;
- Use spray or talcum powder to increase the volume of the hair – this can help to make the hair look fuller;
- Toning spray – there are some sprays that are used to disguise white hair, if you find one of your hair tones, you can apply a little on the areas affected by baldness;
- Haircuts – Choosing to keep your hair shorter and layered can help give you the feeling of more volume and even disguise the areas with the most fall.
In addition, how to style your hair can also help. For example, avoid leaving the hair parted in the middle, as this highlights the central flaws.
Also bet on hair care so that your hair always looks healthy and does not suffer even more from the fall. Avoiding excess heat and chemistry is another important form of care!
Baldness is a serious problem that needs to be treated. Therefore, it is essential to be attentive to symptoms and, if necessary, seek professional help. That way, it will be possible to minimize the damage.
Keep following the Healthy Minute for more health information!