Can a dog eat chocolate? See if it’s bad

No. Just a little piece of candy can already be very bad for the dog’s health. 

About 25g of chocolate can already poison a 20kG dog. And the damage is cumulative, because the greater the amount of chocolate ingested, the greater the risk for the animal.

The type of chocolate, the age, the size and the breed of the pet can influence the manifestation of symptoms.

For example, small breeds tend to have more complications, due to their lower weight. But the amount considered to be lethal is 250mg / kG to 500mg / kG.

Younger puppies and dogs are also the biggest victims, as curiosity and the desire to play lead these little animals to eat “everything they see ahead”.

Why is chocolate bad for dogs?

Chocolate can harm dogs because it contains some substances, such as caffeine and theobromine, which are not processed by the animals’ metabolism. When this happens, the dog’s central nervous, digestive and circulatory systems can be compromised.

And the darker and more bitter the chocolate, the worse. That’s because they contain more theobromine and are therefore not digested by the canine organism.

This substance can remain in the body for approximately 6 days. Therefore, even if the pet ingests small doses, if he eats frequently, he may end up being intoxicated by the accumulation of the substance.

In the pet market, there are several options of “chocolates” made exclusively for animals. These foods are safe and healthy and can be given to puppies as per the veterinarian’s recommendation.

What are the symptoms of chocolate poisoning in the dog?

The main symptoms of chocolate poisoning in the dog are: diarrhea , vomiting, allergies, obesity , tremors, rapid heartbeat, fever , wheezing and hyperactivity. In more severe cases, the dog may experience internal bleeding or seizures , fall into a coma or even die.

After eating chocolate, symptoms can take up to 12 hours to appear, depending on the size and breed of the pet. If your dog has any of these symptoms, see a veterinarian.

In such cases, if you know, inform the veterinarian the amount of chocolate and the type (white, black, milk, bitter, etc.) to facilitate diagnosis and treatment.

As there is no medicine that can serve as an antidote specifically for chocolate, the treatment is delicate.

The veterinarian can prescribe drugs that fight the symptoms.

The dog may also need to go through a detoxification process, which in most cases, includes the use of serum and induction of vomiting.

Read more: Dogs can smell epileptic seizures, says study

Chocolate is a food that is very bad for the health of the dog. The smallest bit can already cause vomiting, allergies, hyperactivity and accelerated heartbeat.

Although it is very rare, there are cases of dogs that die after ingesting a significant amount of chocolate. If in doubt, take your pet to a veterinarian.