The neck pain does not necessarily cause dizziness and balance problems.
However, scientific studies (M Magnusson M – Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Lund University, Skane University Hospital, Lund, Svezia.) Show:
- The importance of proprioceptive signs (which indicate the position of the body in space) that originate in the cervical spinefor balance and postural control.
- Treatments for cervical problems reduce dizziness in some patients.
Vertigo is of cervical origin if neck pain occurs along with dizziness or loss of balance.
In addition, dizziness worsens during some movements of the neck .
There are many causes of vertigo, one of which is a dysfunction in the upper cervical spine (Reid SA, Rivett DA: Manual Therapy Review of Cervicogenic Dyslexia: A Systematic Review.
Clinical experience and anatomical studies have found a connection between the receptors of the cervical spine and the vestibular nuclei (Neuhuber WL, Bankoul S (1994) Besonderheiten der Innervation des KopfHals Übergangs, Orthopäde 23: 256-261).
The positive effect of physical therapy and osteopathy in some patients can be explained by the improvement of muscle imbalances.
Often a head injury causes:
- Lack of balance,
This pathology can be mild or severe, depending on the disease that causes it.
Chiropractic and medications are the most widely used therapies for the treatment of cervical vertigo.
This type of vertigo can be very brief or long.
- 1 Causes of dizziness of cervical origin
- 2 Symptoms that occur along with vertigo of cervical origin
- 3 Diagnosis of vertigo of cervical origin
- 4 What to do? Treatment for dizziness of cervical origin
- 5 Natural Remedies for Vertigo of Cervical Origin
- 6 Grandmother’s Remedies for Cervical Dizziness
- 7 How long does cervical dizziness last? The prognosis
Cervical vertigo is caused by:
- Whip blow ,
- Stretching (stretching) muscle ,
- Muscle contraction of the high occipital or cervical area (can be caused by poor posture or cold),
- Incorrect vertebral manipulations.
The following activities cause contractures in the neck muscles:
- Lifting and dragging heavy objects
- Remain seated in front of the computer for hours
- Incorrect sitting posture during the day or night in bed (eg without pillow).
Cervical Spondylosis (arthrosis in the neck)
The vertebral arteries carry blood from the cervical spine to the back of the brain.
Wear of the intervertebral discs of the neck causes cervical spondylosis or uncoarthrosis (ie, arthrosis or degeneration of the joints between the vertebrae of the neck).
In this case, the cervical facet joints (in the back of the vertebrae) are subjected to an excessive request.
Because 50% of proprioceptors (nerve endings that signal the position of the neck) are in the capsule of these joints, an inflammation at this level can cause dizziness or loss of balance.
The causes can be:
- A vertebral collapse,
- The reduction in height of the intervertebral disc,
- Inflammatory diseases, such as rheumatoid arthritis ,
- A vertebral dislocation,
- A muscle spasm.
The most frequent symptoms are as follows:
- Neck ache,
- Muscle stiffness ,
- Loss of balance.
Symptoms that occur along with vertigo of cervical origin
When a person suffers from vertigo, other symptoms that vary from person to person are also often present.
In case of dizziness of cervical origin, the patient feels vertigo:
- When you do certain activities or movements,
- When you hold a specific position for a long time.
The movement of the neck is limited.
List of some of the most common vertigo signs:
- Loss of balance when moving the head,
- Loss of strength in the legs.
Vertigo of cervical origin can be accompanied by many symptoms (Malstrom EM, Karlberg M, Melander A, Magnusson M, Moritz U: Cervicogenic dizziness-musculoskeletal findings before and after treatment and long-term outcome. which are:
Symptoms that occur less often:
- Visual disturbances,
- Nausea ,
- Vomiting (rare),
- Excessive sweating ,
- Hum ,
- Swallowing problems,
- Pain in the temporomandibular joint ,
- Pain and tingling in the upper limbs,
- General weakness ,
- Anxiety ,
- Difficulty concentrating ,
- Decreased memory.
To diagnose vertigo of cervical origin, the doctor evaluates the range of motion of the neck and then asks the patient to change the posture to see if the intensity of the pain changes or moves to another area.
Finally, the patient is asked to repeat the following movements a few times:
- Bring the chin forward,
- Move the chin back (with flattening of the spine).
If with these movements the symptoms improve or worsen, certainly the cervical affects the vertigo.
To rule out other causes, your doctor prescribes:
- The color Doppler sonography ( ultrasound of blood vessels) of the carotid arteries in the neck to find out if there is a restriction of blood flow to the brain.
- The magnetic resonance of the brain to rule out cancer or other diseases.
- The radiograph can show arthritis or fractures of the spine and whether a patient has an excessive lordosis.
- A consultation with the otolaryngologist for causes that depend on the ears (such as labyrinthitis , benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, etc.)
The disc herniation usually occurs between the central and inferior vertebrae, and does not cause dizziness.
The goal of treatment to reduce vertigo is based on reducing cervical pain .
The main cause of neck pain is identified and, relieving pain, the dizziness should decrease.
Generally, the vertigo that a person feels after a trauma in the neck disappears spontaneously.
It is advisable not to make sudden movements with the neck.
What to take? Cervical Vertigo Medications
Your doctor may prescribe non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as naproxen (Flanax), ketoprofen (Profenid) and ibuprofen (Alivium).
Other treatments are based on injections that reduce dizziness and neck pain.
For the treatment of vertigo, your doctor may prescribe betahistine (Labirin).
therapy for cervical vertigo is useful and consists of:
- Massage therapy to dissolve neck contractures,
- Correction of posture,
- McKenzie method which is a treatment based on some maintained postures or exercises that relieve or eliminate the symptoms.
Chiropractic and Osteopathy
When previous treatments do not reduce pain, it is possible to do chiropractic sessions.
Chiropractors balance the cervical spine.
This treatment helps the brain to receive correct signals from the neck.
The osteopathy is a manual therapy that acts in relation to:
- Skeletal muscle,
- Visceral (in the organs and viscera).
The osteopath unlocks the joints and reduces the pain of the nerves and muscles.
In this case, the osteopath works on all possible causes of pain.
One of the causes of dizziness is dehydration .
Therefore, it is advisable to drink enough to keep the body hydrated.
- Eliminate toxins,
- Stabilize blood pressure.
Some massage oils used on the head and neck can reduce dizziness.
Dizziness occurs when the neck muscles are contracted. A relaxing massage loosens and relaxes the muscles.
The best essential oils are as follows:
These ointments are effective on the muscles and help relieve stress, contracturesand muscle tension.
These exercises do not require any equipment or qualified personnel and can be done at home.
Some of these exercises involve eye and neck movement: slow performance is recommended. If these movements make you feel dizzy, they should be stopped immediately.
In standing position, raise your hands at shoulder level and walk forward looking at a point.
Repeat at least three times a day.
Below are a few of Grandma’s secrets that relieve vertigo in an instant:
The amla is the richest source of vitamin C and is known to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.
The amla is a good natural remedy for dizziness and prevents cardiovascular diseases.
One of the major causes of dizziness is the lack of blood flow to the brain.
The ginger improves blood circulation.
Eating ginger every day is helpful in relieving dizziness.
Ginger is available in capsules or infused, for example in a tea.
The following substances aggravate the symptoms :
- Caffeine ,
- Carbonated drinks,
While dizziness is strong it is necessary to avoid sports, but it is possible to hike on the track or in the field.
Avoid swimming because the neck moves a lot and this can cause dizziness.
The duration depends on:
- From the patient’s age,
- Of the health conditions,
- Of the treatments performed.