A burning sensation in the skin can be irritating or painful depending on the severity.
Burning is often caused by nerves, but there are many other potential causes.
- Damage to the nerves.
- 1 Burning on the skin without redness caused by nutritional deficiencies
- 2 Burning sensation on the skin of the face
- 3 Itching after bath
- 4 Burning sensation in the skin during pregnancy
- 5 Burning sensation in the skin by anxiety
- 6 Burning sensation in the eyes
- 7 Burning of the testicles and scrotum
- 8 Treatment for burning sensation in the skin
Causes of burning sensation in the skin
One of the most frequent reasons for burning in the body is damage or dysfunction of the nervous system.
The nervous system consists of:
- Central nervous system, brain and spinal cord,
- Peripheral nerves that are found throughout the body.
Several types of nerve and spinal diseases cause pain and burning as a symptom of:
- Inflammation of a nerve in the spine caused by lumbar stenosis or vertebral arthritis in the spine .
It is a natural phenomenon of aging.
The inflammation causes burning pain in some cases, but not always.
- The cervical osteoarthritis is a consequence of aging.
The degeneration of the joints and vertebrae of the neck causes this disease and chronic neck pain.
- A herniated disc or disc protrusion occur when a disc in the spine slips out of his seat and compresses a nerve root.
The hernia can cause:
- Q ueimação,
- Pain in the spine ,
- D or in the leg.
- The peripheral neuropathy means damage to a single nerve or nerve group.
This disease causes pain in a part of the body.
Examples include carpal tunnel syndrome , which causes wrist pain , and ulnar nerve compression syndrome that causes pain in the arm and hand .
A peripheral neuropathy can affect any nerve in the body.
It is often caused by diabetes mellitus .
When at least two nerves or sectors are affected it is called polyneuropathy.
- The nervous system disorders center can cause burning of the skin.
There are several causes, including:
- The neuralgia is a burning sensation that feels along a nerve.
It can be caused by:
- The neuropathies of small neuroepidermal nerve fibers can cause a burning sensation in the skin similar to an insect that walks in.
- The multiple sclerosis is a disease of the nervous system.
It is characterized by an injury to the protective material that surrounds nerve cells and causes various symptoms, such as burning pain.
- Poor Blood Circulation
If the blood vessels become narrow or rigid (atherosclerosis), blood flow is reduced.
This can cause numbness or burning pain, especially:
- In the hands,
- In the legs
- On the feet.
Diabetes, hypertension , heart disease and high cholesterol raise the risk of developing peripheral vascular disease that affects blood circulation.
- Accidents, injuries and a trauma are other possible causes of burning sensations in the skin if they cause injuries to the skin.
- Bites and bites of insects or poisonous animals produce a burning sensation in the affected area, especially to the touch.
- The freezing occurs when the skin and underlying tissue are excessively chilled.
At first the person feels the area is tender, then freezing causes a burning sensation.
Burning on the skin without redness caused by nutritional deficiencies
1. Pernicious anemia is a vitamin B12 deficiency . The burning primarily affects the tongue .
2. Megaloblastic anemia can be caused by a lack of vitamin B12 or folic acid.
3. Beriberi is a deficiency of thiamine or vitamin B1. The burning sensation occurs mostly at night and affects the feet.
4. Hypoparathyroidism is a rare disease characterized by underproduction of parathyroid hormone, a hormone secreted by the parathyroid glands.
This can cause a calcium deficiency.
Burning sensation on the skin of the face
This symptom may be caused by:
- The Rosacea is a skin disease that causes redness and sometimes can be felt a strong heat.
- The ulcers are ulcers that cause pain and burning in the mouth .
- A cold sore is a disease characterized by the formation of blistersaround the lips that burn.
- The trigeminal neuralgia causes burning and throbbing pain on one side of the face, from the ear to the apple of the face, eyes and jaw .
Itching after bath
Products that come in contact with the face can cause burning after bathing, for example:
- The soap,
- The shampoo,
- The shaving cream.
The burning sensation can be caused by a skin reaction to the chemicals contained in the detergents.
It is rarely a reaction to water temperature.
Burning sensation in the skin during pregnancy
Skin changes during pregnancy are caused by increased hormones .
Hormonal changes can affect the skin and can cause various skin problems such as:
After childbirth, the skin can become normal.
- Increased levels of hormone. Estrogens and progesterone can affect the condition of the skin, making it very dry .
- One factor responsible for this symptom is the stretching of the skin .
This burning sensation around the abdomen occurs because the uterus stretches to make room for the fetus.
The stretching of the skin can cause u ma burning sensation and pain in the stomach , on the right or left .
Some women may also have burning in the breast because of stretching of the skin.
The halo around the nipples may become irritated by dry, achy skin.
- The intertrigo is a disease in which the skin becomes dry and itchy. The affected areas are the arms, s eans, j oelhos and ther skinfolds.
This disease is caused by an infection bacterial or fungal and causes a burning sensation on the skin.
- The hyperthyroidism can cause:
- Skin rashes,
- Itching ,
- Burning sensation (if also provoking miliary).
- Miliaria . The obstruction of the sweat glands can lead to a condition called heat rash, also known as heat rash or prickly heat .
Burning sensation in the skin by anxiety
Scientists begin to understand how the mind affects the body.
Many people who suffer from severe anxiety and panic attacks feel a burning sensation in very serious skin.
When the person has anxiety , an adrenaline discharge occurs in the body.
Adrenaline affects people in different ways.
Some people have:
Burning sensation in the eyes
is inflammation of the epididymis, ie the tube connecting the testis to the vas deferens.
Epididymitis is usually caused by the spread of a bacterial infection of:
The most common infections that cause this condition in young men are sexually transmitted diseases, among which:
In the elderly and children, Escherichia coli and similar infections are much more common.
Epididymitis can begin with:
Other symptoms include:
- Blood in the sperm
- Discharge through the penis
- Pain in the lower abdomen
- Swelling of the groin by swelling of the lymph nodes
- Pain and swelling in a testicle
- Pain during ejaculation
- Burning in the testicles during urination
- Need to urinate often
- Swollen testicles .
Symptoms of Inguinal Hernia
The inguinal hernia is frequent and can cause discomfort in the scrotum and testicles.
Signs and symptoms of hernia include:
- A swelling in the scrotum or groin (upper thigh) that may worsen with coughingor exertion;
- Burning sensation in the scrotum and / or testicles.
- Pain in the genital area.
Other causes of burning in the foreskin and glans are:
In women the burning in the genitals is often called vulvodynia; it is vulvar pain without redness .
Treatment for burning sensation in the skin
After determining the cause of the burning sensation, the doctor can choose the most appropriate treatment.
Home remedies for burning sensation on the skin
The olive oil can ease the burning sensation in the breast or stomach. This natural remedy is especially useful for pregnant women.
Avoid heat and stay calm . While the burning sensation on the skin does not go away, avoid:
- Hot water,
- Direct sunlight.
Try not to scratch the skin , even if it causes itching, to prevent infections.
Improve circulation . Diabetics who suffer from burning skin should improve circulation:
- Doing regular exercise,
- Eliminating foods that cause a blood sugar spike .
There are various ointments and oils against burning caused by infections or allergic reactions .
Your doctor may prescribe:
- Antidepressants to patients who develop a burning sensation in the skin as a result of anxiety.
- The cortisone topical can be applied to minimize burning the skin.